Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Repair Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is what they e-mailed me:

"Good morning.

No, there is not any difference between the two sides, either way round is ok for fitting. The original manufacture type was sintered so this mark may have been to do with that process or as indentification over similar parts, cannot think of any other reason.

Regards

Steve

S. P. Hall

Evolution Automotive Components Ltd.

17 Lythalls Lane (Unit 1)

Foleshill

Coventry CV6 6FN"

Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your right that outer edge does have a bevel, I also just looked at my old set and its the same way. I just know I e-mailed eac and they said it did not matter which way they went in. So, now I have no idea which way I installed them. Its been about 1500 miles since I installed them and its pumping fine so I guess I got them right?
Also, those dont look like original gears, land rover original gears should have an arrow pointer imprint on the inner gear, non beveled side. This was for factory installation alignment on the assembly line. It could be covered up with that big red arrow in the picture, if not then your gears may have been changed in the past.
I think that installing the gears backwards would have a 0% chance of stopping the pump from working. If anything it may slightly effect the oil pressure or wear out quicker. Honestly if the difference in the 2 sides is this hard to distinguish then it probably doesn't matter which way you install it. You should save that e-mail and send it to them along with your repair bill if something ever goes wrong. (Knock-on-Wood)
After reading about the arrow imprint you were talking about it got me thinking that maybe my gears had already been replaced at some point. I guess that BIG red arrow was covering it up.
Oil Pump Repair Kit?-100_2027.jpg

Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Once I had them installed, they seemed to spin freely in the cover. Guess i had a 50/50 chance of the right side up.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I going to receive the parts today, if ups don't say anything else,.. and as soon i have in my hand, I check for the bevel edge.... and I didn't remove the old one yet..so I can check if the old one has the famous bevel in it and the side that is mounted...

Jared::: there is a good spot for fishing at Port Mansfeld, but in the beach side... at the S Padre Island...... that's why I drove 27 miles on the beach, entering at SPI bridge and driving to the north side...

Awaiting for parts and as soon as possible back with comments.... see you

Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
This place claims to have high flow pumps: Aluminum V8
PN: 201HV
I can't vouch for them, but may order one.
Has anyone used these?

Just wondering....

Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As anyone who has ever done any machining will know, you can't cut a perfect sharp corner on an internal "corner" (such as the interface between the the bottom surface and internal cylindrical surface of a bore as in the pump counterbore) in a production environment. You can always grind a tool to have the most perfect sharp corner, but the corner bluntens very quickly, and you end up with a radius after just a few cuts.

The pump therefore, has a relief as it is of course very easy to put a sharp "corner" onto the outside corner of a cylinder (between the outer cylinder and faces).

Rather than machine a time-consuming round to therefore meet the naturally occuring round in the bore, a 45-degree chamfer works just the same and is cheaper and just as effective.

So the chamfer ALWAYS wants to go into the machined pocket...

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So Dave, i don't know with certainty which way the gears went in. They spun fine once installed and I have put 2k miles on them since and they seem to be pumping okay. What dangers could I face at this point?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It also doesn't seem like the gears would be flush at the top of cover where the cover plate is, if the gears were upside down

Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree - if you spun them, and they spun - you most likely got it correct. Stop worrying and focus on pinning!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok.. sorry for answer until today....
the new pump kit form AB has an angled side ...as Jared mention it.. and yes the angled side goes to the front of the vehicle... someone mentioned that it has and arrow too... yes, the older gears has an arrow and it is located to the front of the vehicle too........
I change the timing chain and gears, and rebuild the water pump...
Hope this info be useful...
see you

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Repair Kit?