Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump TSB

Ok, Ihave a 03 Disco SE7 that falls into the TSB problem area! I am looking for information about what others who have talked with a Land Rover Dealership gotwhen you went in. This could be what they tried to tell you, didn't tell you, may have pushed you to do, cost that they covered, ect... If I can go in to the dealership with the TSB in hand and they tell me "this is new news to me" then I can come back with well LR in ______ fixed it atno charge and LR in ______ did this as well. I think that if we are informed and have some ground to stand on then we may all benefit from others past experience. Thanks to all!! I will also let everyone know what happens to me as well, as I am out of town right now and will not be able to get it in untill next week. Also as a side note,if you have had any experence with Aristocrat Land Rover in Kansas City on this matter please let me know. That is where mine is going!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Pump TSB

I'm new too. Just bought a used 2003 Disco HSE 45k miles.
I really like it
Mine falls into the VIN range.
My plan (from great advice on this forum) is to go to the dealer with the TSB and talk to them about it.
I just can't live in fear of a pending doom to my vehicle.
I think it is unreasonalbe to live this way. I mean, with any vehicle there is always the chance that something may happen, but in this case it is a know issue by Land Rover and it is catastrophic. I hope I can get some resolve at the least expense to me so that every day won't be in fear of destruction.

(nervous and exhausted)

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Having moved to a new area- I'll be looking for the closest L.R. dealership and will bring the printed TSB in hand. What I suggest is keeping all service order documents proving that your vehicle was not neglected in meeting the service dates especially oil changes.

There cannot be anything wrong with having peace of mind. It's not like we all have $7K lying around for a new engine. Also- see if the service 'manager' will give you a document showing that your vehicle is not susceptible to this TSB. I don't believe that this should be a problem if that is what they tell you. If they don't give you written verification- something is wrong- Maybe a question for DiscoMike. I'm just wondering if they'll give you documentation verifying that your vehicle is out of the loop even if it does show in the TSB Vin# range.

Thoughts?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK Guys... I just got home from a trip to my local dealer. Which happens to be Land Rover Wilmington in DE. I had the TSB in hand. I first asked the Service Manager about the KNOWN issue of oil pump failures in the 03's.... I got the completely confused look and of course thewhat seems to be company line " I've never heard of a problem with the oil pump failing"........ So I then had to explain to him how it must be really nice to live under that really cool rock of his----(I did this as polite as I could)----- and handed him the printout of the TSB. His first question was where did you get this?..... Then he said "You know they only put these out for dealers to know how to fix the vehicle in case something happens, and if your oil pump were going to fail it would have alot sooner than now you have 60,000 miles on it." " See the date on the TSB was 5 years ago, you don't have anything to worry about and the oil pump has never been a big problem in these models".............. I then tried to move on to What part would the factory playif my pump fails?..............Again.....The confused look....."This was not a recall. You doknow?".........(me).... Oh yes I know but since this is well KNOWN to what seems to beeveryone else but you. Not to mention the TSB states that this is due to a build error....... I just kinda thought you know the right thing to do and all!! ... (them)........ Oh no. There is nothing we could do.

So guys from the responses I have seen on earlier posts and my own experience we are on our own unless maybe Class action....Who knows. I can tell you it is very unlikely I would do business with that particular Dealer ever again.
Good Luck and please post any other responses. Informedowners are the only ammo we have!!!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That sucks a$$!! I know that Ford is strapped for cash, but now that Tata owns them maybe things will change.
seaosrover-maybe you could get a buisness card from a well known good lawyer in your area and throw that infront of the dealer and see what happens.