Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Oil in Throttle Body (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/oil-throttle-body-31727/)

DeepBlueWater 06-11-2010 02:51 PM

Oil in Throttle Body

Looking at my 03 Disco and discovered a fair amount of oil in the throttle body.

I did a search and found little regarding the subject.

Thinking it's possibly a bad PCV valve (no codes). Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

rj95lss 06-11-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DeepBlueWater (Post 182048)
Looking at my 03 Disco and discovered a fair amount of oil in the throttle body.

Mike

Can I ask what a fair amount is and/or did you take a picture?

kenk 06-11-2010 04:56 PM

Yes, it's usually a clogged pcv system, allowing crank gasses to back-flow into the TB.

Spencerfitch 06-11-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by kenk (Post 182078)
Yes, it's usually a clogged pcv system, allowing crank gasses to back-flow into the TB.

Sorry but I thought that was the point of the [PCV POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION] a clogged one will only stop this.

They tend to get a little dirty but if your finding oil..... You shouldn't.
Maybe some debris or gunk but not a liquid type oil.

yloDiscoII 06-11-2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeepBlueWater (Post 182048)

Mike

Start by popping off your PCV hose off and cleaning it out with carb-cleaner (really easy). I rinsed a bunch of debris and crud out of mine and was amazed at the difference it made once it was clean. While you're there you can check your oil seperator, it may be completely clogged as well. There is a thread regarding the oil separator and a cheap replacement (with a Brillo Pad I think).

kenk 06-11-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch (Post 182096)
Sorry but I thought that was the point of the [PCV POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION] a clogged one will only stop this.

They tend to get a little dirty but if your finding oil..... You shouldn't.
Maybe some debris or gunk but not a liquid type oil.

In a correctly-functioning system, air flows only one direction, from the TB, through the driver's side valve cover, then out the passengers side valve cover into the plenum. It should NOT back-flow through the drivers side, where there is no oil seperator, hense an oily mess. A clogged oil seperator and/or hose on the plenum side usually causes this.

But yes, follow ylodisco's advise, that is more than likely it.

Spike555 06-11-2010 08:20 PM

If the oil separator is missing it will suck in oil.

kenk 06-11-2010 09:02 PM

But the oil seperator is on the plenum side, if it were missing it would suck oil into the plenum, not the throttle body.

For oil to make it into the TB, the air has to be flowing in reverse

Spike555 06-11-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by kenk (Post 182132)
But the oil seperator is on the plenum side, if it were missing it would suck oil into the plenum, not the throttle body.

For oil to make it into the TB, the air has to be flowing in reverse

Well fine then!!

You are right and I am wrong, you make a very valid point.

Spencerfitch 06-11-2010 09:59 PM

just wondering,

what controlls the way it flows? I don't see how it could possibly do that.

If you ever removed the drivers side pcv hose its obvious air is coming out of it. Maybe because its unhooked [doubt it] but what in the world makes it circulate?