Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok another problem.....need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok another problem.....need help

I have to replace the hose that gows from the bottom of the coolant resevoir that looks like an octopus, how difficult is this going to be for a NEW TO ENGINES MECHANIC? I don't think it looks like it is going to be that bad but just need to know if I need to remove all of the hoses to the resevoir and if anyone has any tips to catch the coolant as it spills out?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PIH100040G.cfm

It is easy, just bleed your coolant after you are done.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
4wd Low

i can't get the bottom part of the hose off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there an easy way to get to the hose that goes under the belt and pullies? I can not get my hand undr there. Other than that it has been no problem. And how do I bleed the coolant??

Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
TReK

I think you are talking about the hose that connects to the water pump? If you cannot maneuver around everything then you can try this...

When I did it (to do the front cover) I took the viscous fan off which is a pain. You need a 36mm wrench for that or a thin adjustable wrench. Then remove the belt. Get a long socket wrench (for leverage) put a socket on the tensioner pulley and push to the right (it's spring loaded) this will remove the tension on the belt and you can slip the belt off the alternator. Remove the pulley from the water pump if needed then you can put a vise grips on the clamp pry the old stuck on hose off the water pump.

You may or may not need to remove the fan like I said I only have done it as part of another job. In the "How to" sticky there is a link for bleeding the coolant.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
I think you are talking about the hose that connects to the water pump? If you cannot maneuver around everything then you can try this...

When I did it (to do the front cover) I took the viscous fan off which is a pain. You need a 36mm wrench for that or a thin adjustable wrench. Then remove the belt. Get a long socket wrench (for leverage) put a socket on the tensioner pulley and push to the right (it's spring loaded) this will remove the tension on the belt and you can slip the belt off the alternator. Remove the pulley from the water pump if needed then you can put a vise grips on the clamp pry the old stuck on hose off the water pump.

You may or may not need to remove the fan like I said I only have done it as part of another job. In the "How to" sticky there is a link for bleeding the coolant.
Helps to remove the idler pulley above that hose as well, after that you have almost unlimited access to that hose.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
4wd Low

Man I can not get it. Been trying for 2 hours to get that bottom one out and I don't think I have the right tools to get the fan off. Would a stick of dynamite do it?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh yeah...I remember that one. What a Bi***.

I think I cut mine with a knife or razor blade from underneath then pulled it off.

Removing the tensioner sounds like an easier option, though.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by humroot
Oh yeah...I remember that one. What a Bi***.

I think I cut mine with a knife or razor blade from underneath then pulled it off.

Removing the tensioner sounds like an easier option, though.

May be an option. OK Round 2. trying it again wish me luck

Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
TReK

Good luck that is a hard one to get off. Like said above you can take off the tensioner pulley to get a bit more space to work.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
4wd Low

done!!!!!! And only took 8 hours!!!!!

Quick Reply: Ok another problem.....need help