Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Man Emu lift question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old Man Emu lift question

Okay so I upped my budget and I like (or think I like) the old man set up
I currently have a stock suspension on my 03 but I replaced my front springs with rear coil springs from another Disco. I have 265/50/20 tires on the bitch and I have running boards so I am having issues even after some cutting. My front sits from tire to body ( I took the wheel flair off) 3 and 3 quarters of an inch from the tire. I have a ARB winch bar bumper on. My front sits a inch lower than my rear with the rear springs on the front. If I do a Old Man lift of 3 inches will my front still be lower then my rear? I was thinking 3 in the front and 2 in the back. Please tell me any other options. I looked at the spacer option , doing a 2" front lift and a 1" rear spacer but not a big fan. My budget was 3-400 but I am willing to pay up to 6-800 shipped. I just want it to sit level after the lift.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

considering you stuck some old *** springs in the front and a steel bumper you can't really use that as an accurate measurement for what a lift will do. you need to install a lift then make adjustments with spacers. if i were you i would go with 3 inch springs all around if you actually plan on taking that truck off road. you should also consider getting 16" rims so you have more sidewall and don't risk getting flats. If the bumper is your only piece of armor and you don't plan on putting anything else into the truck i would put medium springs in the front and heavy duty in the back. if you plan on putting a winch in that bumper i would go heavy duty all around. 3" OME springs and TF +2 shocks.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

for what its worth... I run the OME 2" with their nitro shocks as well as the steering stabilizer. I have the heavy duty up front, and the Medium duty on the rear with D1 perch plates. I had originally put the Heavy duty on the rear but found that I was not loading them enough and subsequently had a horrible ride not too mention bad traction. Too much spring is a bad thing. I have the ARB safari front bumper along with safari guard steering guard and sliders, I run 265-75-16 on Steel rims.My feeling in if you run a non stock front bumper you should go heavy duty. and make soft adjustments via tire pressure. i.e on highway I run 45 in the city I run 38 off road depends on terrain. My 2 cents.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Not sure why you installed rear springs on the front when their design/rating doesn't work on that truck, especially when you know want to add rear to level it out.
Get rid of the old rotten riding front springs and install an actual full lift based on your driving needs.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have heavy duty springs and shocks with the new stabilizer. It's a 2" lift. I disbonnected the rear sway bar and left the front in. I build HD bumpers front and rear with rock sliders so I have lots of weight in my vehicle that includes a 200lb crate for equipment in the back. I have a solid ride that can handle anything I throw at it.