Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   OMG alarm cannot be stopped (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/omg-alarm-cannot-stopped-26445/)

alanroberts50 11-07-2009 06:23 PM

OMG alarm cannot be stopped

98 D1
Dumbass me adjusted the drivers door lock inside the door without disconnecting the battery. The electronic door locks triggered a couple of times. I don't have a working remote just the key.

Now I can't shut off the alarm or crank or anything. When I unlock the doors using the key the alarm is still active.

Reading the alarm instructions it says that if the vehicle was armed volumetrically (I don't know if it is or isnt) then the alarm cannot be shut off using the key! It says a new ECU and remote has to be purchased and programmed. I can't believe this BS!

Can anyone help as I currently have a huge paperweight sitting in my drive that I can't move.

lipadj46 11-07-2009 06:41 PM

Have you tried locking and unlocking 3 times (I think that it is 3 times) or also try hitting the inertia switch a couple times.

alanroberts50 11-07-2009 07:03 PM

Yup with the key in the door (don't have a remote). Inertia switch meaning the one under the bonnet?

Rover Chris 11-07-2009 09:16 PM

if you know where your security module is (behind the glove box) there is a blue/green or blue wire going there. If you tap ground to this wire it should disarm the alarm. if there are more than one of these wires or you need more detailed info let me know and I will try to get it for you.

and just to help save you some time there are 2 - 7MM bolts holding the bracket in place that secures the security module (you will need to remove these)

alanroberts50 11-07-2009 09:34 PM

Thanks Chris Do I need to remove the glove box to get to the alarm ECU? (I was wondering where it was located.)

Rover Chris 11-07-2009 09:41 PM

not sure if you have to remove it but I always do as it gives you a lot more room to work with. It is pretty easy to remove, just make sure it is lined up good when you put it back on.

alanroberts50 11-08-2009 08:56 AM

Thanks Chris, couple of questions:
1) Do you mean earthing the blue lead while it is still connected to the ECU or just earth the connecter end?
2) Ign on or off?
3) Won't the ECU itself still remain in "burglarized" mode so that when I hook it up again the alarm will be triggered again?

Rover Chris 11-08-2009 10:34 AM

you want the security module to see a quick ground on that wire so while it is connected, do this with the ignition off. this wire should be the alarm "disarm" input wire so it should just disarm the alarm.
Say for example you put a remote start in your truck and wanted to start it without unlocking the doors, well if your factory alarm was activated you would have to disarm it first so the truck will start, this is the wire that you would trigger with the remote start to disarm the factory alarm without unlocking the doors before you remote start it. All aftermarket remote start systems have a trigger for this wire, not all vehicles have it but our trucks do.

I would put a small fuse (no more than 10 amps) inline with your grounding wire just to be on the safe side, an extra precaution in case you grab the wrong wire!

alanroberts50 11-08-2009 10:39 AM

Thanks Chris I have located the ECU and will give it a try. I guess I can get something like a paperclip in the back of the connector on the blue wire while it's connected to the ECU?

Rover Chris 11-08-2009 10:46 AM

yep, or just get some strippers and tap into the wire a few inches back, it shouldn't take much to do this. if the first attempt does not work you may try it while holding the door trigger down so the truck thinks the door is closed (this shouldn't matter but something to think about)