Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   One wheel drive sucks (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/one-wheel-drive-sucks-42878/)

DiscoWest 08-09-2011 01:28 PM

One wheel drive sucks

Lost my tc during a trip off road this weekend, all three amigos blazing. Without tc the disco is essentially 1WD, normally the front right wheel is the only one getting power, at least uphill anyway...sure glad it hasn't rained in a while or I would still be there!

Livingintheskies 08-09-2011 02:43 PM

Land Rover unicycle? haha

dcarr1971 08-09-2011 03:41 PM

No time like the present to get the t/c shifter from a D1. You'd be astounded what a difference being able to lock the t/c makes...

yloDiscoII 08-09-2011 04:51 PM

He's got an '02, so more work than just the shifter...

DiscoWest 08-09-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dcarr1971 (Post 261681)
No time like the present to get the t/c shifter from a D1. You'd be astounded what a difference being able to lock the t/c makes...

I'm sure, but my disco is an 02, so I'll need more than just the shifter. Almost hate to spend any more on this disco, thinking about a new rubicon, they finally offer leather and power locks, not to mention have front center and rear lockers. That will probably run me about 3k with labor on the disco ... More if i upgrade axles which would be a good idea with lockers...plus whatever it's going to cost to fix the amigos...heck that's as much or more than the discos worth!

yloDiscoII 08-09-2011 05:45 PM

Before you jump off the Land Rover ledge, you should get your Amigos diagnosed, it could be something as simple as a sensor getting tripped by brake dust (I had that problem when I bought mine), diagnosis at a indie Rover shop will run you $60-$100 depending on their labor charges.

For getting CDL, you could track down a used t-case from a pre-01.5, add the linkage, and do a swap. That is what I hope to do eventually. Working out the cost it comes out to about the same as getting the output shaft kit from Ashcroft.

Of course, I wouldn't fault you for moving to a Rubicon, those things are off the charts.

DiscoWest 08-09-2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII (Post 261701)
Before you jump off the Land Rover ledge, you should get your Amigos diagnosed, it could be something as simple as a sensor getting tripped by brake dust (I had that problem when I bought mine), diagnosis at a indie Rover shop will run you $60-$100 depending on their labor charges.

For getting CDL, you could track down a used t-case from a pre-01.5, add the linkage, and do a swap. That is what I hope to do eventually. Working out the cost it comes out to about the same as getting the output shaft kit from Ashcroft.

Of course, I wouldn't fault you for moving to a Rubicon, those things are off the charts.

I would take it to a rover indy shop but unfortunately that doesn't exist where I live. I did the motor swap, the lift kit, and it looks like now I'll be buying an abs amigo reader and attempting to do battle with the amigos!

Ive had thoughts if replacing the transfer case myself with a locking unit but the motor swap removed most of my will to try that, id much rather drive than do repairs.

I made the mistake of looking at a new rubicon unlimited with the cod package and lots if options...it is what the disco 3/4 should have been. A real 4wd with an amazing amount of off road kit and foresight like drains in the floor to hose it out in case you get it too deep, but also leather and proper trim to make it feel as nice a place to be as the disco 2. It's making me seriously reconsider the additional mods to the disco it needs. But the disco has one huge advantage over the rubicon- it's paid for!

Spike555 08-09-2011 08:55 PM

Just get a DI.

lordmorpheus 08-09-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoWest (Post 261741)
But the disco has one huge advantage over the rubicon- it's paid for!

Very true. Would you rather pay perhaps a few hundred dollars in repairs every other month, or HAVE to pay several hundred dollars EVERY month, for the next 5 years? Plus there is the possible cost of higher insurance, etc...

dcarr1971 08-10-2011 12:37 PM

Sorry about not pointing out the need for the t/c swap...I didn't see anything about it being an '02 in the original post.

Originally Posted by DiscoWest (Post 261741)
...But the disco has one huge advantage over the rubicon- it's paid for!

Here's another advantage, take a Wrangler for a ride over a nice rough road or trail for a couple hours. It may go all kinds of places, but you'll feel it tomorrow...