Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on the hood lining

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions on the hood lining

I have been searching around on what to do with my sagging hood liner and have ran across many arguments that go both ways. Discomike says that due to the heat our engines produce, it would get hotter in there after removal... That doesn't make much sense to me so if someone could elaborate I would appreciate it. On other forums there have been many that have just removed it and have had no problems. Others have replaced it with a silver heat shield from lowes or home depot but some have had problems with this. My first thought is to get a used one that isn't so mangled but I haven't ran across one yet. One more thing to note is this is the rover that will have the hood blacked out so I don't want engine heat to affect the paint. Any and all opinions are welcome and again thanks for all the help!

Old 11-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I replaced mine last year because some mice had chewed it apart right over the air intake and the foam kept getting sucked in to the air box, not to mention it looked like hell when I opened the hood. I bought mine from AtlanticBritish and the price wasnt too bad ~ $90.00 if I remember right BUT>>>>>>>>WATCH OUT FOR THE FREIGHT COST
it's "oversize" so even though it weighs almost nothing...they will charge you wicked for the shipping.......mine was about $120.00 !!! for the shipping. get new fastners too if you do it.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I promote keep them because of the heat in the engine compartment and burning your self on the hood and the muffling of engine noise.
Get some 3M glue and reattach your old one if it is still pretty much in one piece.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It is shredded near the intake so I'm worried about bits and pieces getting in there. I just had a thought though, what if I just cut that section out and glued the rest...

Old 11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am in the same boat.
Mine is falling off as well, I already tried the 3M spray glue and no good.
I disagree with Mike though, the LR engine does not run any hotter than any other engine.
That insulation is there more for sound deadening than anything else.
Ever notice that they dont use it on lesser priced cars and trucks?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm... I am not even sure if I have one... interesting... I will have to go look... it strikes me that I actually do not...

Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you need to get some Noxudol 3101. If it is good enough for trains and boats i think it should suffice for your engine.

http://www.amazon.com/Noxudol-3100-1.../dp/B000P7294I

$115 never worry about sagging again and have plenty more to do door panels or whatever else you want to sound dampen.

Last edited by hilltoppersx; 11-20-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: blank post
Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I am in the same boat.
Mine is falling off as well, I already tried the 3M spray glue and no good.
I disagree with Mike though, the LR engine does not run any hotter than any other engine.
That insulation is there more for sound deadening than anything else.
Ever notice that they dont use it on lesser priced cars and trucks?
Even Rover will tell, the engine compartment was not designed for a V-8 but an inline 4 cylinder diesel and hence is not able to circulate air well enough to keep things from really getting hot.
I have been on trail runs in the summer where, on a rest stop, some one would rest their elbow on the hood and not only burn them selves but sometimes pull skin also, that is hot.
May be that the engine doesn't run any hotter then some other engines, but the lack of air volumn moving thru the engine compartment is minimal.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Wouldn't the heat transfer be good for the engine? If it is hot and stuffy in there why not take the "sweater" off? I appreciate the suggestion hilltopper and I may do that when my D2 needs it but I am trying to keep the costs down on this rover and am mainly using it to play around with. I was also wondering the same thing when I was reading the other forums spike. Why some say it is so essential when other trucks don't have it. I thought it may have something to do with the aluminium hood but I have never seen that discussed.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the lining is dual purpose for heat control and sound deadening. its not nececssary but it will be louder and the hood will get hotter without it. you can go without it but as mike said the hood will get hot, our engines don't get hotter than any other engine but since its an aluminum block it disperses heat a lot better. i would say use dynomat or Noxudol that I suggested for sound deadening. I'm sure you could find some cheaper sound deadening sprays that you won't have to worry about fabric falling into the engine or air intake but i know the Noxudol will stand up to the heat and any other element you may throw at it. ie. water oil or any other fluid.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the hood lining