Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Turner Engine for 2004 DII

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 245 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I didn’t know the 15w-40 came in Synthetic. You should be using a break in additive as well, first oil change at 500 miles if memory serves. U could save a little and use T4 for that one.
you should not use a synthetic oil at all for the break in period. it will not allow things to seat properly.

definitely use a high zinc oil or a break-in additive to conventional oil.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:06 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

X10 on not using synthetic break in oil. Had the dealer do that to me when I got a new engine under warranty... That thing burned a quart of oil every 1000 miles for 170,000 miles. Just don't do it.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Okay, thanks for the replies. I will snag some T4 and drop it off for break in! Thanks!!

I figured the "Synthetic Blend" would be okay but I appreciate the info.

Last edited by Jason_B; 09-12-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Avoid synthetic oil for at least the first 5000 miles.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
Okay, thanks for the replies. I will snag some T4 and drop it off for break in! Thanks!!

I figured the "Synthetic Blend" would be okay but I appreciate the info.
make sure they use break in additive

Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Winching

make sure they use break in additive
Any specific kind you recommend? Is Lucas break in oil additive okay?Lucas Oil 10063 Engine Break-In Oil Additive - 16 oz.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 PM

Any specific kind you recommend? Is Lucas break in oil additive okay?Lucas Oil 10063 Engine Break-In Oil Additive - 16 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-Eng.../dp/B001DKN8ZU

I am sure Lucas makes a good product. Royal Purple has break in oil, and I believe that Turner recommended Compcams break in fluid. Email Frida at Turner and ask what they recommend. With my engine they sent literature.

Is your shop filling in the warranty checklist?

Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 PM
Winching

I am sure Lucas makes a good product. Royal Purple has break in oil, and I believe that Turner recommended Compcams break in fluid. Email Frida at Turner and ask what they recommend. With my engine they sent literature.

Is your shop filling in the warranty checklist?
I have been back and forth with Frida quite a bit and she did send me the info about the oil which included the break in fluid. Based on the doc I was looking at, the break in additive was a recommendation. I will call the shop tomorrow and make sure they are following the warranty checklist. I was unaware of such a thing.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:42 AM

I have been back and forth with Frida quite a bit and she did send me the info about the oil which included the break in fluid. Based on the doc I was looking at, the break in additive was a recommendation. I will call the shop tomorrow and make sure they are following the warranty checklist. I was unaware of such a thing.
I read "Recommendation" as "do this." They need to be careful in what they insist on for liability and warranty issues, and they share that with the shops, so they have to leave it in their hands somewhat, this is my guess. Do the break in fluid, and have them break it in properly, watch your rpm's for the first 500 miles, and change oil then. Again, this is what I did, and what seemed best, but it is your engine. I'd have a really long discussion with your mechanic about this.

I am guessing you are reusing your Rocker Covers. If you do, have them disassemble and clean them, especially the oil separator. If I were you, and I am not, I would pull that separator out and have them install the Fram FV308 PCV into the intake and forget about that oil separator completely. My rocker cover on the RH side was caked with garbage, and you want that new engine breathing properly. It's going to be boosted with gas flowed heads, and a new cam so even a better reason to assure all systems are clean and ready to operate.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Winching

I read "Recommendation" as "do this." They need to be careful in what they insist on for liability and warranty issues, and they share that with the shops, so they have to leave it in their hands somewhat, this is my guess. Do the break in fluid, and have them break it in properly, watch your rpm's for the first 500 miles, and change oil then. Again, this is what I did, and what seemed best, but it is your engine. I'd have a really long discussion with your mechanic about this.

I am guessing you are reusing your Rocker Covers. If you do, have them disassemble and clean them, especially the oil separator. If I were you, and I am not, I would pull that separator out and have them install the Fram FV308 PCV into the intake and forget about that oil separator completely. My rocker cover on the RH side was caked with garbage, and you want that new engine breathing properly. It's going to be boosted with gas flowed heads, and a new cam so even a better reason to assure all systems are clean and ready to operate.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I am all for doing things right and by the book. I will change the oil after a few hundred miles for sure, and I can add the break in fluid myself once getting the vehicle back if they did not use it when starting it up and test driving.

I did request that they clean the rocker covers and they said they got them all cleaned up. I believe the engine is scheduled to be started today so it might be a little late to request that the PCV be installed. If you don't mind, can you explain how this part works different from the default operation? I will mention this to the shop just in case it is not too late in the process.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ordered Turner Engine for 2004 DII