Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
I bet! so geographical location makes no difference? NA is NA?
I was told all NA dealers use the same network for parts.

call your local dealer and see what they say. It would interesting the compare.

Last edited by abran; 01-30-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I have to say Chubbs, I am not trying to be argumentative with you at all. Just to be clear... strictly for testing purposes this guy is not going to harm his engine by going over 200, or over 215 for a very short duration.

I agree keep it under 200 for everyday purposes.

The original poster needs to diagnose whether he has air in his system or a mechanical issue. Virtually every one of these ran up to 220 for most of their lives until guys like us started figuring out cooler is better. One more time for testing is not going to be the end of the world as long as you don't let it get away from you. Got to keep an eagle eye on it for sure.

dave. my engine will "tick," it will make "ticking" sounds...at temps over 200f. and mine isn't the only one. I don't know what the ticking noise is, and I don't want to know so I stay far away from it. something happens at temps over 200f with the materials used in these motors and its well-documented in this forum, I have both personally experienced it & read the accounts, first-hand of other owners who had the same issue and were here asking about it. what is there to argue about?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all your input. Just to be clear again. My ultra gauge is reading over 220. But when i check all the relevant areas of the engine ie, top and bottom rad hose, tstat housing, base of temp sensor itself, across the entire radiator surface the temps are nowhere near 220? They are all reading normal. Also the engine just doesn't feel hot. I spoke to Doug at Atlantic British and he told me that there maybe a problem with the ecu sending a incorrect coolant reading? Or it is out of calibration? I'm not really sure what to do now. Has anyone had this problem before? Cheers John.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrdisco01
I'm not really sure what to do now. Has anyone had this problem before? Cheers John.
Did you read my previous reply about my readings using IR? Agree it could be indication and may be rare not unheard of.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by number9
Did you read my previous reply about my readings using IR? Agree it could be indication and may be rare not unheard of.
Hi
Yes I saw your post. I am taking ir readings while engine is running. The ultra gauge is way off what the IR is reading. Base of temp sensor is holding at 180? Is there a way of testing the sensor off the car?
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers John.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrdisco01
Hi Guys.
Thanks for all your input. Just to be clear again. My ultra gauge is reading over 220. But when i check all the relevant areas of the engine ie, top and bottom rad hose, tstat housing, base of temp sensor itself, across the entire radiator surface the temps are nowhere near 220? They are all reading normal. Also the engine just doesn't feel hot. I spoke to Doug at Atlantic British and he told me that there maybe a problem with the ecu sending a incorrect coolant reading? Or it is out of calibration? I'm not really sure what to do now. Has anyone had this problem before? Cheers John.
Before the mod/repair, did it read over 220?

If not there is enough bubble in the system, that the air pocket is being heated up causing it to read the actual temperature of the air pocket where the thermometer sensor is.

Honestly, unless you have a vacuum fill tool, you will trap air in the stock coolant system, 100% of the time. Even with vac fill, you will have some air trapping in the coolant system. Whatever air left, you better hope that the system will bleed itself.

The bleeding of air pocket supposed occurs through small hoses that are attached to the top and the bottom the reservoir.

Problem with the stock thermostat regardless of the temperature rating is that it does not work well when there is air present in the system where the thermostat is.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Three Wheeling

i had another thought here. When i replaced the coolant sensor(a few months ago now) I cannot remember weather i stated it was for a secondary air equipped car (which mine is) Could this be my problem? If i have one which should be in a non secondary air car. Would this cause the symptoms I am experiencing?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like you've replaced everything in the cooling system, i would just get a coolant temp gauge and inline it into your cooling hoses and let that do the coolant temps for ya. if it reading under 200 and ur scanner tool is reading 220, then its probably something with the computer or the coolant sensor.

The following users liked this post:
slvrdisco01 (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Does the obd 2 ultra gauge take it's readings from the coolant sensor behind the ac pump unit? Or the one on the radiator?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

the obd 2 ultra gauge take it's readings from the coolant sensor behind the ac pump unit
The manifold mounted sensor.

FYI, most folks erroneously associate the other sensor with SAI.
The thermostat monitoring sensor is located in the radiator, adjacent the bottom hose. The ECM compares the
temperature measured by the thermostat monitoring sensor to the temperature measured by the ECT sensor. If the
difference between the two readings is too great, the ECM determines the thermostat is stuck. In this case, the ECM
registers a fault code in its memory.

The following users liked this post:
slvrdisco01 (01-31-2017)

Quick Reply: Overheating problem?