Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again you have offered up no advice of ANY value. I HAVE followed the advice from this thread and am still having issues. You probably have not read the entire thread and have decided all on your own to sit in judgement. As said before why don't you give it a rest you're boring.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrdisco01
Again you have offered up no advice of ANY value. I HAVE followed the advice from this thread and am still having issues. You probably have not read the entire thread and have decided all on your own to sit in judgement. As said before why don't you give it a rest you're boring.

If you would search the forum, you will see plenty of threads with this same problem.

There are posts by myself, also jfall, that describe putting the truck on a hill and an alternate bleeding method.

I have been reading this thread. I didn't post because of the problem stated.

If you want advice, put your truck on a STEEP hill with the front of the truck up in the air.

Turn on your heat.

Pop that bleed screw over and over.

Hell, if it helps, squeeze your hoses, shake your truck, you have to dislodge that air bubble.

And let your truck have a chance to open the stat. It may get to 220-230...keep an eye on it and get that air out.

What coolant do you have?

The following users liked this post:
slvrdisco01 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I have done what you have suggested for days. I'm using prestone 50/50. I get no waterfall sound at all. Good heat through vents. As i said the obd ultra gauge starts to go up after 10 minutes. But when i use an IR pointer while running on the base of the temp sensor itself, it gives me totally normal readings of around 180. Top rad hose around 170. What I was asking is there any history of bad temp sensors? This is a new one that I fitted two months ago. I have searched around and have found nothing on this particular issue. Also how to test a sensor like this. Thanks John.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Pro Wrench

I have done what you have suggested for days. I'm using prestone 50/50. I get no waterfall sound at all. Good heat through vents. As i said the obd ultra gauge starts to go up after 10 minutes. But when i use an IR pointer while running on the base of the temp sensor itself, it gives me totally normal readings of around 180. Top rad hose around 170. What I was asking is there any history of bad temp sensors? This is a new one that I fitted two months ago. I have searched around and have found nothing on this particular issue. Also how to test a sensor like this. Thanks John.
Does the temp ever level off or does it just keep climbing? You sure you changed the temp sensor?

If your checking the temps with the IR, have the hoses, metal areas been running awhile? Perhaps the parts aren't getting up to the temp that the coolant is?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

when i use an IR pointer on my hoses all im getting is like 140 to 150 F readings, so i don't know if hitting your hoses with an IR pointer is going to do you much good as far as accurate readings go. just now getting home in the garage, idling. blue tooth reading was 206 and IR pointer was around 150 on the T and the surrounding hoses. im starting to wonder if a inline electric water pump would help assist the mechanical pump at idle to increase the pressure enough to over come the soft spring in the thermostat. I also notice the warmer the outdoor temps are the cooler the system runs and at idle it takes much longer for the temps to climb. my guess is the "under the hood temps" are much higher assisting the thermostat at staying hot and allowing the thermostat to pass coolant threw rather then closing off and restricting the flow.

or some one needs to manufacture a new softer spring thermostat!!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Does the temp ever level off or does it just keep climbing? You sure you changed the temp sensor?

If your checking the temps with the IR, have the hoses, metal areas been running awhile? Perhaps the parts aren't getting up to the temp that the coolant is?
The temp reading on the ultra gauge levels at around 225 to 230 and stays there. The engine is running for around 10 minutes to get to that point. When i use the IR gun it has been running for at least that long. I point it many different areas from hoses to the base of the sensor and never get anything higher than 185. Also the engine just doesn't feel hot. It sounds and runs smooth as ever. I called Atlantic British and the guy there suspected a possible problem with the computer calibration error? This car has secondary air. I notice on their site they state a sensor specific for non secondary air but do not have one that states for secondary air? I was starting to think I have the wrong sensor? Could that be the issue?
John.
p.s sorry for getting snappy earlier.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah at 230 degrees you should be getting some very bad smells coming from the engine bay. You are probably close to boiling water out at that point too. Sounds like a bad reading, gauge not calibrated or something.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Yeah at 230 degrees you should be getting some very bad smells coming from the engine bay. You are probably close to boiling water out at that point too. Sounds like a bad reading, gauge not calibrated or something.
That's what i thought. No weird smells at all and I can lay my hand easily on top of the intake manifold and its just warmish.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

The temp reading on the ultra gauge levels at around 225 to 230 and stays there. The engine is running for around 10 minutes to get to that point. When i use the IR gun it has been running for at least that long. I point it many different areas from hoses to the base of the sensor and never get anything higher than 185. Also the engine just doesn't feel hot. It sounds and runs smooth as ever. I called Atlantic British and the guy there suspected a possible problem with the computer calibration error? This car has secondary air. I notice on their site they state a sensor specific for non secondary air but do not have one that states for secondary air? I was starting to think I have the wrong sensor? Could that be the issue?
John.
p.s sorry for getting snappy earlier.
You actually apologized to that douche?
Don't mistake the opposite end of bipolar disorder for genuine concern. After that idiot addressed my post like he knows my truck better than I do he bacame non-existent.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
You actually apologized to that douche?
Don't mistake the opposite end of bipolar disorder for genuine concern. After that idiot addressed my post like he knows my truck better than I do he bacame non-existent.

You're the one that complains you are always changing parts....are you a mechanic or a parts changer?

23 years in the military as a mechanic, multiple deployments, I hardly think I have any mental issues, maybe the VA missed one?

Sometimes you just have to listen and be wrong...

I do have general concern, even if you were sitting on the side of the road I'd stop to help you.

Have a good day chubb, and try to work on your namecalling...it's a little childish.