Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is new oil before filter change necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is new oil before filter change necessary?

Someone told me that the filter should be changed only after old oil was drained and new was added. Had something to do with protecting the oil pump. Is this true? I have a 02 discovery.

I found a really long thread on here about oil viscosity and filter size. And now this about not changing the filter until the oil is changed.

This will be my first oil change on this car and I have never given this much thought and planning to an oil change!! I may have to stay off this forum and just enjoy my rover for a while!!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Staying on this forum will make life with Rover cheaper and more enjoyable.

see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/

You want to put in Shell Rotella dino oil, 15W40. You want a jumbo oil filter. The oil filter hangs down. Pour fresh oil in filter before you screw it into place. Pull truck up on ramps just on passenger side (or a curb). This points the oil drain down. I drain the oil and while that is going on I drop the filter and replace. The oil pump does not lose prime by this. Oil light goes out in a few seconds at crank up.

Do not try to go past 5000 miles regardless of type of oil.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-03-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Overlanding

Thanks. I was kidding about the forum. In the couple of months I've had the car its been a huge help.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

I belong to the bigger oil filter tribe. Spreads the dirt out a little more. But on older Rovers, ravaged by time and lack of money by previous owners, oil galley drains from under valve covers can become gunked up. So the oil is held longer in the valve covers, and eventually the oil pickup in the oil pan is sucking air. So at higher rpms the oil light flickers on (never ever a good sign) because you have dropped below 7 PSI, when you should be 50. Next morning, oil level reads normal. The extra large filter is more "insurance" against this.

Rover used to offer an oil PSI gauge as an option back in the 50's. We are obviuosly too stupid to use such a gauge, but we can operate a sat nav system whilst the ACE keeps us on the roadway during a high speed pedicure run by SWMBO.

As for exact filter, I think I shall switch to the Baldwin, I currently run the Purolator/MANN.

Pix of gunked up head, oil filter, gravity drain galley passage, and a truck with 190K and Castrol/Rotella at reasonable drain intervals.

Attached Thumbnails is new oil before filter change necessary?-eng-1a.jpg   is new oil before filter change necessary?-p1120391.jpg   is new oil before filter change necessary?-30023360456_large.jpg   is new oil before filter change necessary?-100_0313.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My heads had no gunk, but man was it a pretty dark bronze color! A local UK vehicle shop suggested Pennzoil because it was the only one with the detergent additives still in it. Up until now, I had no reason not to. Thoughts???

Furthermore, I would not run full synthetic in anything DII or older. It's thinner and will leak where regular oil won't.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

First of all, change your filter and oil at the same time. Fill the new filter with clean oil before you screw it on. You do not want to pollute your new oil by mixing it with the dirty oil in the old filter, and it doesn't help the oil pump to run used oil thru it one last time. (EDIT: PLEASE DISREGARD. I misread the original post)

Second, Pennzoil is definitely not the only oil with detergent in it. Almost every oil has some cleaning properties. Rotella has a ton of detergent, which is why it's recommended for these engines. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for an infinite amount of reading material about oil.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 05-04-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by north_nm_rover
Someone told me that the filter should be changed only after old oil was drained and new was added. Had something to do with protecting the oil pump. Is this true? I have a 02 discovery.

I found a really long thread on here about oil viscosity and filter size. And now this about not changing the filter until the oil is changed.

This will be my first oil change on this car and I have never given this much thought and planning to an oil change!! I may have to stay off this forum and just enjoy my rover for a while!!
The oil change procedure outlined in the owners manual specifically states the process you have outlined. See the owners manual:

"Oil filter renewal
NOTE: To avoid draining the oil pump, it is
essential that the engine is filled with oil to the
correct level, before the filter is removed. It is
therefore recommended that the engine oil is
renewed before work on the filter commences."

We have followed this process and with great success.

2003 Discovery 134K with high miles services complete.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed, but my oil PSI light goes out in a couple of seconds when crank up after oil change. First time I did the jumbo filter, and did not pre-fill it, I counted to ten before that light went out.

Worst oil light moment at cranking for me has been a radiator swap, used one had clogged oil cooler. Cranked truck, and then stuck head under hood looking for leaks. Came back in a minute or two and the oil light was still on..... ouch.

So I'll start doing the pre-filled filter first next time.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I read that something like 90% of engine wear happens at startup while the oil is cold and hasn't circulated yet. So I figure that wear must be even worse after an oil change, especially if you don't pre-fill the filter.

It's free insurance against premature bearing and camshaft failure.