Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen sensor install how to? Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oxygen sensor install how to? Tips?

I think it's pretty simple, and I'll look at RAVE, but worth asking if there's a "How To" on replacing the front oxygen sensors?

Or any tips/tricks/things to look out for? Are the connectors tricky?

I ordered both sensors from Atlantic British.

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's the same as a 2000, the connectors are a little tough to get to. you'll need to rent an o2 sensor socket from your local auto parts store if you don't have one.

looks like this

http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-KDT39.../dp/B002YK7994

it's got an opening for the wire so you can get the socket around the sensor. that's about it from me.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no you wont. you can use a crescent wrench of the correct size and it works just fine. no need to rent something you do not need.

spray the old sensors with wd40 and remove with exhaust warm. not cold. makes it easier. wear eye protection as you will knock crud and dirt loose and it will get into your eyes and it will hurt.

other then that its easy as can be and should be no more then 20min on your back

Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling

unplug them first make sure the engine has cooled I used a an open ended spanner pretty straight foward..

Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Mudding

i just did mine and after cursing and getting covered in grease under the car trying to use a wrench, i decided to go to advance and buy the $13 socket. the hole for the socket wrench is 1/2" ...forget about 3/8 socket.
I used 2 x12" extensions with a 1/2" swivel connecting the extensions to the socket. accessible from above the engine the job was made very easy and the sensors on both sides came out easily.
Like stated previously, while engine is cold spray the sensors with PB Blaster where they screw into the exhaust, let it soak in for 10 mins then warm up the engine. after 10 mins the sensors should come out very easily.
When the engine has cooled, then disconnect the electrical connector. Look carefully at your new sensor to see exactly how it locks onto the harness, play with the locking tab to see how it works.
The old connector is attached to a metal stub, this can be bent 10 degrees to allow easier removal...it's tight down there!. for passenger side i used my left hand to press the locking tab, you will hear a small click when it is pressed sufficiently for unlocking, then either pry off with a smallish flat blade screwdriver or just pull. it is a tight connection.

cost for replacing 02 sensors at LR dealership........$100's
cost for replacing 02 sensors yourself.....PRICELESS!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine too, the only difficulty I had was reaching the harnesses, my meaty hands don't fit in those small places too well. Mine came out very easily with a crescent wrench, no special socket necessary.

A question for others who have done this, I was expecting a significant increase in mpg, I have put 1000 miles on the new sensors and the mpg has improved, but I am still only getting 14-15mpg on the highway. I have heard others boasting 18+, anyone else see a big improvement?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Mudding

how are you guys getting them off with a wrench?...the angle of the sensor in the exhaust is offset and there is no room to a. put pressure on the wrench to crack the sensor loose...and b. there is only a few inches of space for the wrench to move.

Are you doing it from above or below the car?.

I'm pretty good at tight space bolt removal, have small hands and lots of practice, but i gave up quickly with these using a wrench.

So my final opinion is a. if money and or tools is available then go my way...or b. if $ is tight and you only have a wrench, use that. if you have oil leaks keep your rags handy!...you'll nedd 'em with b.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Mudding

Like i said before...go and get an o2 sensor socket that you can rent from any auto parts store for free. you pay up front and they give you your money back when you're done. it makes getting them off a lot easier. we used some pb blaster to help loosen them.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
TReK

from below with a wrench. wrench is at an angle and no parallel so you are not on the nut 100% but enough to get the job done. you do not get a full 360 rotation. you only get a 6th of that. but once out enough you can turn by hand. wrench i used was about 8" long on a warm engine and sensors sprayed with penetrating lube.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Mudding

WOW...just for fun i decided to go try and remove my 02 sensor with the wrench method. Sensor was installed 2 days ago. wrench would not budge it after using PB and a warm exhaust.
i want YOUR wrench...lol

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensor install how to? Tips?