Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0117 here then gone

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default P0117 here then gone

Hi, I'll start from the beginning:

truck 2000 D2 approx 125 miles on the engine.

Throttle body heater plate started leaking...again only a year after replacing it. I decided to do the bypass. I had done it before with no bad effects and also my air intake is a cone filter in the engine bay so the air coming in is hot.

Anyway, did the bypass and idiot (me) basically attached the coolant res hose to itself by mistake. Started it up and immediately coolant was pouring out of the bottom of the engine. so I turned it off attached the hoses properly and then started it again after re filling the coolant res (emptied it). On start up it took a couple turns where usually it starts right away. Then it idled fine for a bit then started revving slightly. I checked the temp gauge and it was rising and dropping. So I then turned the truck off and read the code. P0117. I left it for a minute did a visually inspection and stated it up again. It took a lot of tries to get it started but finally it turned over. I put the heat up to full and eventually got hot air and the temp rose steadily and stayed right around half where it should be.

No code now and truck seems fine.
I'm wondering if the loss of coolant would effect the P0117 or if the P0117 would have anything to do with the troubled start.

Thanks for any input. I will check the coolant level when the engine has cooled down.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, even though no one replied I figured I'd close this thread up.
It seems as though the truck is fine now. My uneducated guess is when the coolant briefly poured out it may have hit the coolant temp sensor or possibly gotten into the spark plug sockets? Just a guess. When this happened it went haywire for a bit but once the engine heated up and dried up it was fine.
running good now.