Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   P0308 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/p0308-8569/)

wbstyles 08-29-2007 08:19 PM

P0308

Need help fast! I have a 99 LR SE7 w/128k. I have recently just changed all 4 O2 sensors and installed 8mm Magnacor wires and Bosh Platinum Plus Four plugs. I have cleaned the intake using the Sea Foam and vacuum method. Today my wife was driving it and it started missing and driving rough. Then the SES light came on and started flashing. She stopped, turned it off and called me. I drove it to the partrs tore and had the code read. It came up with P0308, cylinder 8 misfire. Can anyone please help me identify what has happened? I took the plug out of that cylinder and it did look pretty black, like it was wet. I then stuck the plug in the end of the wire and bumped the truck over a few times to see if it was getting spark and it was. I hope someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks,

William

okdiscoguy 08-29-2007 08:23 PM

RE: P0308

make sure it is pushed down all the way on the coil pack...

wbstyles 08-29-2007 09:08 PM

I just got back from taking it from a drive. The problem appears to be intermittent. It apears that it is only misfiring when the SES light is flashing. Otherwise when the light is just on, it seems to not hesitate or miss. However this is just by hearing and feeling. At least it doesn't mis as bad when the light is not flashing, or maybe I just notice it more when I am not in the throttle. Also, when I stomp on the gas to accelerate quickly, I notice that it appears as though there is something slightly holding it back and then letting it go. THis is probably due to the misfire though, I assuming. Just trying to figure it out. I have yet to swap out the #8 plug and/or wire to see if it changes anything or causes a different fault code.

Disco Mike 08-30-2007 08:05 AM

Do what we talked about last night and let me know if anything has changed.

dcnellie 08-30-2007 02:03 PM

Just really interested in this thread. My 01 with 86,000 has a P305 showing up which is on the #5 Cyl. I was throwing that and 4 others associated with the 02 sensors. I thought it may be plugs so I switched out the - get ready - AUTOLITE - plugs the mechanic had put in when getting work done on the cyl heads with some Bosch Platinums 4's. Now when I took out the #5 plug it was bone dry and showed no signs of even being fired on..... so I think mine might be related to an injectoras the wires are about 2 years old put on at the stealership. It runs a little rough when idleing but has done great off road the last couple of weeks on rather steep grades, showing a bunch of power. The SES light has been on for a while now and this is the last error to clear. What did Mike suggest you do? Thanks!

Disco Mike 08-30-2007 02:35 PM

What are your current fault codes?
What plug wires are you using and how many miles on them?

dcnellie 08-30-2007 02:51 PM

Hi Mike,

I didn't mean to hijack this thread with my own problems. But since you asked - Currently all I have is the P305 error code. I had errors on both the O2's in front along with the running lean or rich codes.(i forgot) After putting the new O2's on and clearing the codes on Monday this week, good old P305 showed up again this morning. The plug wires probably have 25-30k on them, I had them done at a LR dealer here in st. louis so I assumed they were Land Rover orig. parts. Magnacor 8mm wire are in the budget and I will probably order them soon, but will that alone fix the P305?

Thanks and I'll talk with you soon - Dave Nelson

Disco Mike 08-30-2007 03:59 PM

If you get a chance, give me a call and lets walk thru this stuff.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7 am and 8 pm

dcnellie 08-30-2007 05:33 PM

thanks mike,

I will try to call tomorrow. What I am really wanting to figure out is if I should drive it to Chicago this weekend (4.5 hours away) and risk making anything else pop up. I used your recommend from a post about the 02's at roverconnection by the way. It took 3 weeks but he was nice about it and called me back whenever I left a message. thanks again.

Disco Mike 08-30-2007 05:46 PM

If you are looking at 9 hours of driving, I would want to try and get an answer as to what is causing your problrm before I drove that far, you could cause damage to one cat if not melt it down if the misfire were bad enough.
Call me