Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0441, P1171, P1174, Fuel trim numbers inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

New coils if yours hasnt been replaced in a while

Old 03-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LanRover4Me
Simple might be a relative term...

Thanks for posting your process. I'll be doing the same thing to mine later this week. Prior to rebuilding each one, did you do any cleaning of the injector itself, to be sure you didn't get any crud inside the injector? I have an intake gasket kit coming, as well as the injector rebuild kit. Any other parts I need to make sure I have on hand before I get started?
Other than wiping them off, I did not clean the injectors-- I saw no indicators that they needed it. When you remove the injector rail, the injectors come with it and they stay nice and clean. Remove them from the rail one at a time and set them on a clean surface.

You may want to purchase a fuel injector filter removal tool, but it can be done without one (see my description and video above). The filter removal tool would probably save you some time. I needed the repair done ASAP so I improvised.

​​​​​​
​​As mentioned, you may want to replace your coils since your intake manifold is going to be off. While you're at it, replace your spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HopeItsNotAMoneyPit
​​As mentioned, you may want to replace your coils since your intake manifold is going to be off. While you're at it, replace your spark plugs and spark plug wires.
Thanks. Coils, plugs and wires done recently and in good shape. I appreciate the info. Will be my first injector work.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 PM
Mudding

So I decided to use my day off today and tackle the injector O rings. Getting to the injectors wasn't so bad. Unfortunately I could not get the injector filters out using the screw method (#10 tapping screw) , it got to the point where I ended up having to Dremel out the filter so I could install the new ones. After the first two unsuccessful I decided not to replace the filters and just change out the rings. Got everything put back together and of course Im treated with the flashing SES light. So either like you said previously, I need to change my spark plugs to compensate for the lean conditions, or I screwed something up by using a Dremel. Found a set of refurbished injectors on ebay for 70 bucks. I went ahead and ordered them just in case.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

The ebay injectors works well. Had 3 sets replaced with those refurbished ones. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
So

​​​Got everything put back together and of course Im treated with the flashing SES light.
Do you have an UltraGauge or some other code reader? If not, I highly recommend you get one. It removes SOME of the guess work with diagnostics. Plugs are cheap and easy, so they would have been my been a good next step.
​​​​

Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Mudding

I have an UltraGauge I was blessed with all kinds of misfire codes and O2 sensor faults. Im assuming I screwed the injectors up by using the Dremel to get the filters out but I didn't have a choice, they were not coming out.

The injectors were pretty fouled up anyway so its probably a good idea to replace them all.

Hopefully the ones from ebay will be here some time this week, my D2 is currently my daily so looks like ill be Ubering to work this week.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Drifting

I just finished rebuilding the injectors in mine (thanks all, for advice in this and other threads), and was sweating bullets screwing into the first basket. I was very tentative, but some combined tugging and wiggling got them out. Here is the setup I used, and did all the pulling by hand (injector in one hand, t-handle in the other). My trim values were way out of line, and are now more 'normal' with the rebuilt injectors. Still monitoring for any lingering issues that may need to be addressed.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Mudding

Glad you were able to get the baskets out, I fought with the first one for an hour before I had nothing left but the brass crush ring. It looked like some of my injectors were starting to melt and maybe thats why the baskets were such a struggle to remove. I didn't have a T handle like that laying around but with the screw and a bolt clamped into a vice and pulling with all I had the only thing coming out was the plastic and parts of the filter... really hoping I can just throw the new injectors in this weekend and fix the misfires. Also hoping the new manifold gasket solved any vacuum leaks I was having.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Drifting

The lower seals on your injectors look like mine did (worn and flattened off), and I know they were contributing to intake leaks in my case. Between the new injectors and gaskets, I think you'll be good. My intake manifold gasket looked good, but I replaced it anyway.

The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (03-18-2018)

Quick Reply: P0441, P1171, P1174, Fuel trim numbers inside