Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0705 - M&S is off, second attempt to fixing it

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0705 - M&S is off, second attempt to fixing it

So I've taken the sensor off last week end, cleaned connections and the socket inside the sensor where the transmission rod connects and all the brackets holding the XYZ switch together. Then, put everything back together hoping for the best.

I didn't open the sensor to see inside the switch since I wasn't ready to bust those rivets and install screws and nuts instead. Time wasn't on my side

Started the truck many times without driving it to see if the light would come back and it didn't. You can imagine the smile on my face at that moment.

After 10km of driving, it came back, and now it's on and off. M&S don't come one however check engine with P0705 (PNDRL circuit) is on. And yes the light bulbs do work for the M&S

Grounds are good; battery and alternator running like new.

Will replacing the switch correct this issues.

I need your advice as I can't throw away close to 700$...

Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Linkage?

According to RAVE, M&S should both be on... Do you get forth gear when the code is on and you are driving?

Did you adjust the linkage while under there? It is worth your time to. I've had XYZ faults go away once the linkage was properly adjusted. The linkage may be pulling the XYZ over to the next gear "position" inside the switch, even though the transmission is still where the shifter says it is. Also, the XYZ switch has a little play in how it is mounted to the transmission body.

First put the XYZ switch on the transmission, and use a adjustable wrench to turn the lever. Make sure that when the transmission clicks into the next position, the switch reads it properly. Then work on adjusting the linkage.

I hope this helps, these XYZs are a royal pain. I've had the machine not be able to find Park, Neutral, or Drive before. Needless to say, that's a pain.