Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Savannah! Or any other xperts

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Savannah! Or any other xperts

Drive Symbol on dash under the odometer is blinking with a giant diagonal cross through it. Began this morning on start up- I've googled and whether it be my phrasing or not- couldn't find a damn thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the Check Engine light on?
Any trouble codes?
Does the truck still change gears and drive fine?
Have you done any work on the truck recently?
Have you been off-road or in any high water?

this is really just a shot in the dark without a little more information, but I have heard of people having problems with the P,R,N,D symbols on the dash after installing a new or messing with the xyz switch on the transmission. The A/C drain lines drip right on the switch causing them to fail over time. If you don't get the new switch back in the right way then the computer wont read the right position when you shift gears.

First things first, find a scanner and check for trouble codes.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

what he said

Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If the xyz switch is playing up on the autobox there is a repair. It is very straightforward as I've done it myself. The replacement part costs a whopping £425 in the UK. Try this fix but take your time and treat the switch gently with kid gloves. Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

There are different types of xyz switches the later type being less complex than the one shown in the fix. You will need to buy a few self locking nuts and M5 bolts about 12mm long to replace the rivets, preferably stainless steel. I use petroleum (Vaseline) grease inside the switch for ongoing lubrication. MAKE A NOTE OF THE EXACT POSITION OF THE SWITCH ON THE GEARBOX BEFORE YOU UNDO THE 10mm BOLTS AS THE SWITCH IS SLOTTED AND ADJUSTABLE FOR POSITION. Good luck and report back how many knuckles you have skinned getting the damned switch off and back on again.

Another note, don't use brake cleaner or any corrosive cleaners inside the switch. Use only electrical contact cleaner which is non corrosive and doesn't leave any residue.

Another issue is that the A/C drain is immediately above this switch and dribbles water onto it. The fix is to extend the drain by 6 inches with a rubber or neoprene tube fixed with electrical tie wraps and held out of the way. It stops future corrosion.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 12-08-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right should have included a little more information;

Shifting fine, seems to be smooth when putting into park, reverse, drive 2 1 etc

Paired with this the directionals are no longer working as in blinking on the dash or outside on the car, no directional clicking either.

The service engine soon light has been on for 6 months when i had the codes pulled it was an air sensor.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Sandland
Right should have included a little more information;

Shifting fine, seems to be smooth when putting into park, reverse, drive 2 1 etc

Paired with this the directionals are no longer working as in blinking on the dash or outside on the car, no directional clicking either.

The service engine soon light has been on for 6 months when i had the codes pulled it was an air sensor.
The blinkers not working may be a blown fuse, start there.

When you say the codes were for an air sensor I assume you are referring to the O2 sensors? I am not clear on when you last had the codes checked. Did you have the codes checked before or after the Drive symbol problem? If before, then you need to get it checked again because it may have a new code. Try and get your codes read again and this time get the person to write down the actual trouble code #'s and post them on here for us to better help you.

Have you done any repairs or upgrades recently, like removed the center console or shifter? One more thing, How old is your battery? With the blinkers not working now also, along with your "D" symbol problem on your dash, it is beginning to sound like you may have some sort of electrical issue going on. A weak battery can cause all sorts of havoc. Most auto part stores will do a free battery and alternator test for you. When you go to get us the actual trouble code #'s, ask the guy to test your battery and alternator.

Last edited by Jared9220; 12-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.