Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAS pump pulley pulling forward!! need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAS pump pulley pulling forward!! need help

2000 Disco II, 82k miles.
Have had serpentine belt issues for a while now, have gone thru 3 in the last 6 months. (now I think I know why)
This morning when my wife fired up the Rover, after about 30 seconds I hear a loud ticking, knocking noise.
I figured the serpentine belt was fragmenting again and was slapping the hood or something. I shut off the engine, open the hood, start looking around.....belt is ok....HMMMM
THEN i notice that the pulley for the power steering pump is forward enough that it was making contact with the engine fan! HOLY CRAP!
The bolts are still on it, it appears to be solid....I was just going thru the R&R on the Rover Rave disc, and it is rather lengthy, especially for 8pm in November in the driveway....
Am I goign to have to remove the pump, or can I just refit the pulley to the front?
Is the pulley maybe coming off the shaft, or the shaft coming out of the power steering pump?
I think there may have been some previous serpentine belt debris behind the pulley that I was not able to get to previously....

Please Help!!!

Jay

Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Drifting
Default RE: PAS pump pulley pulling forward!! need help

Hey Jay, how are you?

Try sending an email to geoman or DiscoMike those 2 guys know all about this stuff and can get you a good deal on parts. I'm working right now on my PS pump (installing new) serpentine belt and tensioner (that could be your problem) but, hey, I just started to play with this. Ask them, they'll help you man...

Keep us informed, this way we all learn new stuff...

Vinnie

Old 11-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay,

The pump is about to go, and then it will seize and "frag" your new belt. I just shipped one out yesterday complete with the R&R instructions. This requires you to remove the large aluminum casting that holds the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and ACE pump (if your vehicle is so equipped). Then you can get to the bolts required to remove the p/s pump from the casting.

I have the pump for $395.00 (list is over $500) ---plus shipping. You could try a used one-- but this is a real "dice throw" as you have no way of knowing whether the used one is near the end of its service life, and considering the amount of work required to get the replacement one in-- it would be a pain to have it fail again in short order.

Regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 PM
7th Gear

Crap on a stick, so the shaft is coming out of the pump then?
We have an extended warranty on this thing, but its been a total PITA dealing wtih them on the 2 occasions so far. I dont want to waste a bunch of time and end up having to pay dealer price to get this fixed anyway, when I can easily repair this.

A question on the R&R, the AC condensor, I can just move it out of the way, right? I dont have to undo any lines? Same with the ACE unit?

Thanks guys

Jay

Old 11-10-2006, 09:08 PM
7th Gear

Well just talked with the warranty company and the dealership, I think this should be easily covered......I am just afraid of getting stuck by the dealer charges after teh warranty company complains because I havent had the dealer do my oil changes or 60k service or yada yada.....

we will see....Sometime next week since they are slammed

Thanks

Jay