Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Passenger seat fuse blowing over and over and over (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/passenger-seat-fuse-blowing-over-over-over-47327/)

SolbergFanBoi 02-08-2012 06:16 PM

Passenger seat fuse blowing over and over and over

Hey all,
Not too much experience with diagnosing electrical issues so need some help! After a search or two, I can't seem to find a similar problem.

Whenever I go to use the power passenger seat it keeps blowing the fuse after very minimal use, maybe three times. Any quick fixes? Truck has heated seats, no electrical mods, stock radio etc.

Disco Mike 02-08-2012 08:25 PM

Unless you want to burn up your truck because of your major short, I would quit replacing your seat fuse that is trying to tell you you have a problem and have a mechanic track it down and fix it.

Savannah Buzz 02-08-2012 09:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fuse 2 in the satellite (mini strip) fuse panel is 40 amp and runs all the seat motors. 40 amp is a good sized fuse. You can unplug fuse, and take a voltmeter and read each side of the socket to frame of the truck for 12 volts. Won't have any volts if truck is not running. Then read for ohms to ground, should read open, and activate one seat switch. When you are on the seat side of the fuse you'll get an ohms reading. Operate each switch one by one to look for one that reads much lower than all the others. Four motors per seat, plus lumbar if equipped. Drawing from RAVE attached.

You can also get the passenger seat to a comfortable position, and pull cable off back of seat switch.

agthird 02-09-2012 10:06 AM

sounds like a bad ground...

Savannah Buzz 02-09-2012 07:53 PM

I'd think a bad ground would increase the resistance and decrease the current, but a flakey switch can stick or short against an adjacent prong inside. If you plan to take the switch apart, do so over a big bowl, lots of little parts to run in many directions. Of course, something grounding out where it a'int supposed to (like a skint wire) could certainly take out the fuse. The seat heaters are on a separate fuse from the motors.

SolbergFanBoi 03-05-2012 06:01 PM

Just wanted to update this thread... When I removed the original fuse, it was a 15. Not knowing any better I continued to replace it with a 15 amp fuse till I actually looked at the chart that covers the fuse box. It requires a 40 AMP fuse!!! Went to the dealer, picked one up and works without issue.

Savannah Buzz 03-05-2012 07:01 PM

Well, don't stop there - previous owner may have swapped fuses around and you could have a 40 where a 15 belongs....

SolbergFanBoi 03-05-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 304109)
Well, don't stop there - previous owner may have swapped fuses around and you could have a 40 where a 15 belongs....

Good advice! Will do.