Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Seat wont recline back up

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger Seat wont recline back up

This just started today. The passenger seat on my 2003 Disco wont recline back up. It does move forward and backwards and then when i try to recline it up it wonk work and blows the fuse under the seat.

The strange thing is that is reclines further down and then when I recline it to go back up it goes to the same certain point and stops and then if I keep trying it will blow the fuse again!

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy! I blew like 4 fuses already, the 40Amp ones.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very strange! I just went back out there reclined the seat all the way down and then it reclined all the way back up! It works now.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and can't resolve it ! The passenger seat on my 2004 Disco wont recline back up. It does move forward and backwards and then when i try to recline it up it wonk work and blows the fuse under the seat.

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy! I blew like 4 fuses already, the 20Amp ones.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem too except mine wont move forward and seat won't go up. It will move back and recline, but be stuck there. Also, the heated seat doesn't work but the switch light comes on. Driver's seat works great. Weird.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had this exact same issue in my 2002 Discovery II.

Turned out to be a frayed wire under the passenger seat near the rear right of the seat if your looking at it from the rear seat.

I removed the plastic around the seat, laid down on the rear seat with my head under the front passenger seat. From this position, you should be able to see the frayed wire.

What happens is the wire is under stress when the seat is in a upwards position. The stress is caused by the frame of the seat itself and once frayed, it shorts out the fuse.

With the seat reclined you'll take the stress out of the wire. At this point, I wrapped it with a few small pieces of electrical tape and put down some padding between the wire and the frame.

I have pics of the job around here somewhere, but it's pretty straight forward.

hope this helps.

Disco Matt

2002 Discovery II

Have Done:
Short Block Engine @ 73k, Starter, Water Pump(2), Front Cover Gasket, Timing Gears, Timing Chain, Shocks and Springs(Terrafirma +2), Thermostat, Hoses, CrankShaft Position Sensor, Coolant Temperature Sensor, Front Drive Shaft, Becker Radio w/ Nav, Brakes, Rotors, Calipers, Wheel Hubs.

Still on the List:
Head Gasket Kit Install, Need Radio/Speakers Upgrade(any suggestions), Falling Headliner, Front Bumper and Fog Lights, Larger Tyres, Rear Door Handle Rebuild/Grease, Rear Wiper Motor, Drivers Window Motor/Regulator, Drivers Side Rear View Mirror w/ Heat, Sunroof Rebuild Front/Back, Steering Wheel and a New Girlfriend HaHa.

Last edited by MattyMatters; 02-14-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: didn't proof read it
The following 2 users liked this post by MattyMatters:
CamelChad (05-13-2018), Crisis In My Nomex (01-30-2017)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyMatters

Turned out to be a frayed wire under the passenger seat near the rear right of the seat if your looking at it from the rear seat.

I removed the plastic around the seat, laid down on the rear seat with my head under the front passenger seat. From this position, you should be able to see the frayed wire.

What happens is the wire is under stress when the seat is in a upwards position. The stress is caused by the frame of the seat itself and once frayed, it shorts out the fuse.

With the seat reclined you'll take the stress out of the wire. At this point, I wrapped it with a few small pieces of electrical tape and put down some padding between the wire and the frame.

hope this helps.

Disco Matt

2002 Discovery II

Have Done:
Short Block Engine @ 73k, Starter, Water Pump(2), Front Cover Gasket, Timing Gears, Timing Chain, Shocks and Springs(Terrafirma +2), Thermostat, Hoses, CrankShaft Position Sensor, Coolant Temperature Sensor, Front Drive Shaft, Becker Radio w/ Nav, Brakes, Rotors, Calipers, Wheel Hubs.

Still on the List:
Head Gasket Kit Install, Need Radio/Speakers Upgrade(any suggestions), Falling Headliner, Front Bumper and Fog Lights, Larger Tyres, Rear Door Handle Rebuild/Grease, Rear Wiper Motor, Drivers Window Motor/Regulator, Drivers Side Rear View Mirror w/ Heat, Sunroof Rebuild Front/Back, Steering Wheel and a New Girlfriend HaHa.
Just went out and did this and it worked! Great fix, man. Thank you!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks going to do this tonight

Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyMatters

hope this helps.

Disco Matt
Disco Matt,
You might no longer be on the forum, but your little write up just helped me fix my passenger seat issue.
I wanted to give something back, so here are some pictures of the frayed wire, and the post repair..

Thanks,
Tim