Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering hose leaks

Old 04-02-2011, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy power steering hose leaks

2004 disco II 124k mi
I had leaks at pump and resealed pump unit. now have leaks at high pressure hose going into steering box. I replaced the O"rings from Landrover and still have leaks at steering box high pressure inlet pipe. Also has whine form p/s. and foam in tank. could the high pressure hose be bad or is problem in pump or steering box?
thanks

Last edited by c a redding; 04-02-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The foam and whine is from air getting into the power steering system.

I would replace the hoses, not just the leaking one, but all of them, if one is bad the others are sure to follow.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could the high pressure hose be bad at the connection point? I have replaced the O'Rings on the metal hose? the end "looks" good with no indication of breakage or nicks.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering question

I have an '04 Disco...replaced low pressure hose to power steering pump, when putting pump back into the Disco I noticed that the high pressure line only has one o ring toward the end, so I ordered a new o ring & replaced the old for good measure. Now that all is back together, I have a massive leak @ the high pressure line connection. I ordered 3 o rings, as over kill, & "re-replaced" the little o ring toward the end yet again. Still loosing about a quart per 2 days @ that site. The line looks excellent! My question is: are there suppose to be more than one lonely o ring on the high pressure line? I can not seem to google a clear enough photo of a high pressure line to see if maybe there is to be a second o ring farther up the line.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

At your mileage the hoses are prone to leaking, so replace them all before it gets too bad and the pump fails also.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ckadventure
I have an '04 Disco...replaced low pressure hose to power steering pump, when putting pump back into the Disco I noticed that the high pressure line only has one o ring toward the end, so I ordered a new o ring & replaced the old for good measure. Now that all is back together, I have a massive leak @ the high pressure line connection. I ordered 3 o rings, as over kill, & "re-replaced" the little o ring toward the end yet again. Still loosing about a quart per 2 days @ that site. The line looks excellent! My question is: are there suppose to be more than one lonely o ring on the high pressure line? I can not seem to google a clear enough photo of a high pressure line to see if maybe there is to be a second o ring farther up the line.
I looked at the Microcat parts catalog, only one "O" ring per end. Clean off everything with brake clean and then locate the source of the leak, if it's the "O" ring it will be coming out of the joint. (I do agree that replacing the hoses is not a bad idea since they do get old and can fail. Complete loss of fluid can be very expensive - look at the prices of a pump and a gear)

Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
I looked at the Microcat parts catalog, only one "O" ring per end. Clean off everything with brake clean and then locate the source of the leak, if it's the "O" ring it will be coming out of the joint. (I do agree that replacing the hoses is not a bad idea since they do get old and can fail. Complete loss of fluid can be very expensive - look at the prices of a pump and a gear)
Thanks for looking that up for me. I replaced the O ring Friday afternoon, flushed the system, then left it parked in the garage this weekend while we went on a little vacation. Came back to find the reservoir empty & an oil slick on the floor. I completely cleaned the engine bay & undercarriage after replacing & "repairing" the leaking issues. The high pressure line is wet @ the connection site of the pump. Apparently it is not sealing and completely draining from there. I was hoping that I was simply missing an O ring, but...looks like I will be ordering a new hose. I found a thread here that is basically a great step by step on the replacement of this hose. I went out & tinkered a bit, found that the plate that secures the two lines to the steering box is going to be a problem. I used some PB, but still unable to budge that bolt. Any suggestions?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Winching

Let the PB work overnight (this has worked for me on many occasions)

Old 10-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Ok, I have replaced all three lines with shiny new. Sure looks great, but the power steering box itself was leaking. Ordered the rebuild kit, replaced the leaking gasket to the rear plate. Not to any surprise, that gasket failed within a couple of days. It was a clear cut out with a tiny yellow beed of yellow gasket sealant on one side. My new question is this: has anyone attempted to "build" a gasket for the rear plate of the power steering pump? If so, what type of material did you use to trace & cut it out of? I would think, due to the pressure in this unit, that something like RTV would not hold up. I'm just a weekend-shade tree mechanic kinda guy, so I don't know a lot & could use all the advice you Fellas have. We have a baby due in Dec. so I am hoping to make it out into the woods for one more camping trip before then. Need to get this issue remedied ASAP