Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Upgrades

This weekend my wife, the lovely Disco Donna, asked the question, "What can we do to make our 2004 Discovery FASTER?"...I know there is a TON of knowledge on this site and I wanted to see if anyone has any advice for D.D.'s heavy right foot. Our Discovery currently has 48,000 miles, and will most likely be "passed on" to our 14 year old when he becomes 16. Vehicle is currently bone stock...

Thanks...

Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Performance Upgrades

I believe in holding on to a Rover, especially a 04 Disco, but boy that is a scarey thought, giving a 16 year old a Disco, try a Vw or something and let him learn what responsibilitys go along with owner ship, like gas, maintance and insurance.
Having said that, there is nothing you can do to make your 04 go faster, a 4.6 will go faster then 1000 MPH, what are you looking for?
Now if you wanted to improve your MPG, that is another thing.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

Fortunately...we have "good" boys and they take care of their "stuff". You can't put a price on a child's life and nothing I'd like more than our son to be in that Disco if he "were" to have a wreck (God forbid)...

On the performance...I'm talking power commanders, chips, air intakes, exhaust...anything to get a little more OOOMMMPPPHHH from the 4.6 liter. We once had a 1995 BMW 325i I sent to Dinan in Atlanta for all the goodies (supercharger, gearbox, air, exhaust, etc.)...two weeks and $10k later we had what once was 189 hp tuned into 368hp. Not looking for those kind of results (or that kind of money), just some good bolt-ons that might help Donnna in the passing lane...

Thanks,

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

There are none that are worth while other then a chip, but you'll eat gas and only gain about 15 horse power.
The Rover isn't a BMW want to be, it weigh in around 5200 pounds with a full tank of gas and one passenger, it is running on w late 50's Buick engine that has gone about as far as it can and a set of diffs that won't take too much extra power before they gernade.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I cant help you on the performance upgrade stuff but I can tell you that I am 16 and I love my disco. Well, it wasn't handed to me, your son is lucky! I worked as a soccer referee for 3 years, since I was 13. I saved up $6000 and my parents threw in $2000. I always wanted a disco and I knew alot about them and eventually I found a perfect one for $8000. The disco was a huge responsibility and it really helped me respect "ownership" I also pay for all my gas. Obviously make sure your son is a good driver before you decide to give it to him, but I'm sure he will be! Its been almost a year and in about a month I will be 17 and so far no wrecks, and my disco had been a great hobby.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

Well I cant help you on the performance upgrade stuff but I can tell you that I am 16 and I love my disco. Well, it wasn't handed to me, your son is lucky! I worked as a soccer referee for 3 years, since I was 13. I saved up $6000 and my parents threw in $2000. I always wanted a disco and I knew alot about them and eventually I found a perfect one for $8000. The disco was a huge responsibility and it really helped me respect "ownership" I also pay for all my gas. Obviously make sure your son is a good driver before you decide to give it to him, but I'm sure he will be! Its been almost a year and in about a month I will be 17 and so far no wrecks, and my disco had been a great hobby.
Wow, what a fortunate young man! Late teens....disco.....Smokey Mountains!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Donna

Fortunately...we have "good" boys and they take care of their "stuff". You can't put a price on a child's life and nothing I'd like more than our son to be in that Disco if he "were" to have a wreck (God forbid)...

On the performance...I'm talking power commanders, chips, air intakes, exhaust...anything to get a little more OOOMMMPPPHHH from the 4.6 liter. We once had a 1995 BMW 325i I sent to Dinan in Atlanta for all the goodies (supercharger, gearbox, air, exhaust, etc.)...two weeks and $10k later we had what once was 189 hp tuned into 368hp. Not looking for those kind of results (or that kind of money), just some good bolt-ons that might help Donnna in the passing lane...

Thanks,
I hate to say it, but there isn't really anything available for a noticeable power difference.

It's funny because one of my other cars (Audi S4) has a twin turbo six cylinder in it. The chip upgrade alone brought her from 250bhp to 320bhp. I have since gone a few steps further. I have upgraded the fuel injectors, fuel pump, FPR, bigger turbos, among many, many other things. After all is said and done the most recent dyno pulls I had came out to a best @468whp. Yes, Wheel horse power. Multiply that by 1.28 (drive train loss) and my car has 599.4 crank horse power. Best ¼ I have had yet is 11.2 @ 141. Not bad for a 3900lb pig

All this put to the ground via Audi's Torsen Quattro system. Uh, I have yet to have any car on the road even come close to giving me a decentrun. No 'Vette's, Twin Turbo Porsche's, nothing ;-) I will say the track events I race at are more fun than anything else. Nothing makes me laugh harder than being waived by $150k +cars in my $20k (Bought it used) carbecause I am all over their rear view flashing my lights.

I have looked all over for upgrades for the Disco'. The only thing I would even put on it is the Borla exhaust. Maybe 10hp extra, but the sound is 100% better ;-)

Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Camdisco24

You know it is good to see that you had a little to do with earning the truck and the responsibilities that come along with it. If you ever have a question feel free to shout.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling

http://www.rpiv8.com/index.html

Old 11-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Three Wheeling

Tell the young ones that the Landrover was designed for the offroad and rough terrian not the speedway.
You are right, it is a safe vehicle, so are Volvos, BMWs and Mercedes.

Quick Reply: Performance Upgrades