Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar leak ?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 PM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Water intrusion - previously titled A Pillar leak ?

Now that I have my cooling system sorted, I went to install my VHF radio and discovered the PO neglected to tell the dealer about water intrusion.

I believe this is an A pillar leak, the damage (rust) and primary moisture is under the interior door sill, at the hinges on the driver door and the edge of the carpet in that area moving the passenger area.

Moisture seems just be weeping backwards.

I manually cranked the forward sunroof open and it is dry.

I went up and checked and there was a large gap between the gutter and windshield - now filled with silicone on both sides although the passenger side has no issues.

The driver side drain hole was clogged - now clear.

Any other suggestions, or information required,we are starting the rainy season in the Pacific Northwest I kinda need to get this sorted out.

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 10-13-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: new title
Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Now that I have my cooling system sorted, I went to install my VHF radio and discovered the PO neglected to tell the dealer about water intrusion.

I believe this is an A pillar leak, the damage (rust) and primary moisture is under the interior door sill, at the hinges on the driver door and the edge of the carpet in that area moving the passenger area.

Moisture seems just be weeping backwards.

I manually cranked the forward sunroof open and it is dry.

I went up and checked and there was a large gap between the gutter and windshield - now filled with silicone on both sides although the passenger side has no issues.

The driver side drain hole was clogged - now clear.

Any other suggestions, or information required,we are starting the rainy season in the Pacific Northwest I kinda need to get this sorted out.
Leaking sunroof's are a very common problem, LR even publish a doc about them. It's not the sunroof seal that's the problem it's the seal between the sunroof and the D2 roof that leaks along with the broken or blocked drain wells. The mastic seal between the sunroof frame and the D2 roof hardens and cracks thereby letting water through. It's a headliner and sunroof out fix which takes around a day or so.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Like he said, make sure you check the drain wells. Sometimes the nipple at the drain well cracks and leaks.

Never hurts to dye test or leak test whatever you have while it's all apart.

Also might be a good time to check the lines and make sure they arent dry rotted or anything. You can get 5/16" poly line for pretty cheap.

Also if the nipple at the drain well is cracked, you can break it off and opt for a 5/16" inch roll pin + silicone to replace the nipple. That's something I just recently did

Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM
TReK

Thanks guys, I was hoping for easy, not that the headliner is hard.
Just the finding time to do it.
Sounds like a small bead of silicone around the seal will be a decent short term fix until I can pull the head liner

Old 10-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys, I was hoping for easy, not that the headliner is hard.
Just the finding time to do it.
Sounds like a small bead of silicone around the seal will be a decent short term fix until I can pull the head liner
Sorry to be a PITA but there is no simple answer or fix. When you get around to removing the headliner it will pay you to recover it with material or paint it but you'll need to remove all of the old foam liner and glue first, sorry another PITA task. Water ingress and age tends to de-laminate the material of the headliner. I put a layer of the multi-sheet (21 layers I recollect) insulation above the headliner to reduce heat effects to the interior cabin and headliner but avoiding the electrical connections with the alu foil.

ISOLANT RÉFLECTIF 21 COMPOSANTS - Brico Dépôt

Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Sorry to be a PITA but there is no simple answer or fix. When you get around to removing the headliner it will pay you to recover it with material or paint it but you'll need to remove all of the old foam liner and glue first, sorry another PITA task. Water ingress and age tends to de-laminate the material of the headliner. I put a layer of the multi-sheet (21 layers I recollect) insulation above the headliner to reduce heat effects to the interior cabin and headliner but avoiding the electrical connections with the alu foil.

ISOLANT RÉFLECTIF 21 COMPOSANTS - Brico Dépôt
Hi OffroadFrance - I gathered that, I did some research on Discovery II issues before I bought.

But thanks very much for making sure I was aware of the issues, it really sucks to think you know what needs doing only to find out you missed one critical item.

The foam on my headliner is done, so it will need some form of restoration, if I have to pull it.

This only showed up after a very very heavy rainfall so I will need to track it down, to make sure I know where the problem is.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:46 AM

Hi OffroadFrance - I gathered that, I did some research on Discovery II issues before I bought.

But thanks very much for making sure I was aware of the issues, it really sucks to think you know what needs doing only to find out you missed one critical item.

The foam on my headliner is done, so it will need some form of restoration, if I have to pull it.

This only showed up after a very very heavy rainfall so I will need to track it down, to make sure I know where the problem is.
The worst sunroof leaks occur between Item # 3 of the attached and the D2 roof. As you say, the short tern fix is to lift the plastic trim slightly and inject some silicon mastic around and slightly under the plastic trim. Be sure to clean the crud away first or the silicon won't adhere.

Sunroof Leaks. Drain Tubes? Location? - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM
TReK

Just an update dried everything out and and did a visual / fingernail test of the plastic trim it seems to be pretty solid no moisture underneath.

Work prevented much more, however I did check the sun roof drains with a cup of water per drain, they are working 100% solid flow from each drain, seat belt itself is dry.

Now the however, heavy rain over night and a puddle in in the rear left passenger area. Checked the sun roofs again still dry, no evidence of moisture from that area.
Head liner is dry etc.

However when I put pressure around the rubber seal at the base of the left hand roof rail a fair bit of water oozed out. This is not good

I have now silicone'd that seal top and bottom, as well as the bolt inserts the PO put in, they have bolts in them as well that have been silicone'd.

I will keep this updated as I go along, with the amount of moisture on the floor I would have expected the headliner to be wet, although more saggy now, it is still dry as is the seat belt.

Did I mention I hate sunroofs

Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM

I agree wholeheartedly about sunroofs, they are pointless if you have A/C in the truck, they are another maintenance source and potential leaks. Of course, if you have a dog in the car they can be useful but if it's that hot you shouldn't leave the dog in the car .............. only the kids

Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 PM
TReK

Well the good news is the driver side leak appears to have been the roof rack, 2 days of solid rain including very heavy rain for 30 minutes, no new moisture.

I will need to review the silicone and do the passenger side to be proactive.

Bad news my Disco is pointing slightly downhill and I have the passenger side air plenum leak. A quick inspection of the seal showed it barely touching the windshield and not at all in a couple of places.

A small bead of silicone the entire length should cure that one.

I really hate water getting on the inside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Pillar leak ?