Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Pillar leak ?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 AM
TReK
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

The saga continues, two day off road and the drivers side leak is back but very small compared to previously. Starting at the known problem area's not silicone failures but the high side window on the drivers side will be getting a new seal in the spring. A largish maybe 1/8 th of an inch gap at the front vertical edge of the seal.

More silicone to seal it up, and that seems to have helped, solid rain for 2 days so I will know pretty quick if that sorted it out.

Intake plenum is still leaking, much less than before but still there.

On the upside a 2 day off-road trip with the local rover club, and she ran like a top, zero issues. Used CDL and Hi/Low a lot all worked perfectly, traction worked like a charm.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:39 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Richard,

It was great to meet you this weekend. Hope the temporary silicone seal will hold up. See you soon at the next run.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 AM
TReK

Hi Andrew was great to meet you too.

And yes very heavy rain all day and night and no new leaks, plenum shows no new leaks so that may have been me washing the cow stuff that hit the hood off, pushing too much water towards the windshield.

Still needs to be looked at but we we don't have heavy rain and wind warnings

Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Richard, is your intake plenum cracked? Mine was and that caused it to leak into the heater intake. I replace the intake plenum recently and while it was out applied silicone around the heater intake fitting. That solved the leak that was showing in my passenger footwell.
That intake plenum piece was kind of expensive, but worth it to stop that leak. Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM
TReK

Hi thanks FGD for the suggestion that is next on my list, my suspicion is the air intake needs sealing. The plenum itself is fine but, the seal to the windshield was way off in a number of places, a bit of silicone fixed that up short term.

Once I have a couple of days with no rain I am going to pull it and inspect it, and seal the intake just to be safe.

The price is pretty insane for a piece of plastic, but if it was cracked I would think a bit of fiber glass or JB weld and some tin should be be able to stabilize it.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 PM
fgd
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a good instructional video on the Atlantic British site about removing and installing the piece. There are hooks that go under the windshield that hold it in place. Maybe yours is unhooked? Putting the piece in place does require a bit of maneuvering and a little bending so be careful if your piece is feeling brittle.

Mine was broken in so many places that there was no saving it. I got the best price from Devon 4x4 in the UK even with the shipping. I'm not sure how that'll work out in C$.

The silicone around the heater intake was extra insurance of no more leaks. So far the combo is working really well.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had to slightly adjust the two front doors on my truck, mostly due to irritating air leaks at highway speed, but also to eliminate some minor leaking at both door heads. The back two doors got the same treatment after some water sneaked through at the car wash. 5 minute adjust of the hinges did the trick.

The seals were all good, just not compressing properly. The window frames on the doors are very narrow, with no weather stripping to counterflash the door seal, and have little mass or structure to them, so they don't compress the seals very much to begin with.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:07 PM
TReK

And the saga continues, the top of my poor Disco looks like a tube of silicone went nuts.

After 3 weeks of pretty much constant rain and oddly random leaking. I setup a tarp and silicone my Sunroofs external seal and the sunroofs themselves to eliminate them as a cause

Still had water in the driver side foot well, after some rain, at the forward edge the rear was dry - it could have been left over in the roof.

While drying things out yet again I pulled the upper A pillar interior molding no water. I then pulled the external A Pillar molding - held on with 1.5 clips. 1 broken, 1 almost broken and 1 ok along with some silicone to hold in place. Passenger side was just as bad.

I may have some seal issues on the passenger side but drivers side "looks" ok. Waiting for more rain - I have sealed the windshield edges with tape to keep the water out and see how things go.

I would love to pull the headliner down to get this properly sorted, but I just do not have 3 hours of time currently.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:23 PM
TReK

And the saga continues the damm thing leaks when it wants to, very heavy rain and puddle in the left rear foot well. BUT it is coming from the front to back, slight uphill point when parked.

Finally found the TSB re windshield/gutter leaking rolled back the rubber corner molding and there "was" a big hole with pine needles in it. Now filled with silicone, the corner gutter trim looked iffy so that got a bead of silicone as well.

Currently drying the carpet and waiting for more rain, I have attached the TSB for windshield/gutter leak in case it is of use to someone else

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 04-29-2020, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
And the saga continues the damm thing leaks when it wants to, very heavy rain and puddle in the left rear foot well. BUT it is coming from the front to back, slight uphill point when parked.

Finally found the TSB re windshield/gutter leaking rolled back the rubber corner molding and there "was" a big hole with pine needles in it. Now filled with silicone, the corner gutter trim looked iffy so that got a bead of silicone as well.

Currently drying the carpet and waiting for more rain, I have attached the TSB for windshield/gutter leak in case it is of use to someone else
Hi @Richard Gallant,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread.

I seem to be having the exact same problem with my LR4. I have cleared the sunroof drains which appears to have solved much of the problem. No more water around firewall area. however still have water between driver seat and driver side passenger seat.

Was the TSB regarding the pillar the solution to your problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Pillar leak ?