Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.

Well it sounds like your not gettting any fuel.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep... that was what I deduced as well, which is why I now have a new fuel pump. Since it’s not giving off any codes and the newpump hasn't improved anything should I perhaps attempt to replace the crank sensor, or the relay? Or is there some additional troubleshootingI can do to narrow it down further.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 PM
TReK

Did you evey check the fuel pump relay?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
4wd Low

Hi I have a 99 Land Rover also and I had the same problem. FirstI made sure that the suvwas passing gas. In the gas injector there is a valve with a cap. ( just like the valve from the tires ). Open the key and press on the valve and it should spit gas. The problem with mine was that the spark plug were dirty and it couldn't spark. So I clean every spark and it run like new. Now the problem is the spark plug are getting very dirty every day. So I have to clean them like every week.Does anybody know why they are getting dirty?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Wildwolf498

Hi I have a 99 Land Rover also and I have the same problem. First make sure that the suv is passing gas. In the gas injector there is a valve with a cap. ( just like the valve from the tires ). Open the key and press on the valve and it should spit gas. The problem with mine was that the spark plug were the dirty and it couldn't spark. So I clean every spark and it run like new. Now the problem is the spark plug are getting very dirty every day. So I have to clean them like every week. Does anybody know why they are getting dirty?
The color of the spark plug will tell you what is causing it to get so dirty. Normal color should be a tanish color. Here's a link to help you out. Once you determine your color, we can begin to further diagnos the problem. http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/t.../diagnosis.htm

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: twalter87

Yep... that was what I deduced as well, which is why I now have a new fuel pump. Since it’s not giving off any codes and the newpump hasn't improved anything should I perhaps attempt to replace the crank sensor, or the relay? Or is there some additional troubleshootingI can do to narrow it down further.
Do you know which one's are your relay's? Turn the key on and see if they are engaging. Listen for the pump. Have you changed your fuel filter? I wouldn't worry about the CPK yet...

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Drifting

I'm not completely certain which relays are for the fuel pump. When I turn the key on I do hear several clicking sounds coming from the passenger kick panel, sound like a series of 3 clicks. I also found on a forum that the relay is in the engine compartment just in front of the washer fluid reservoir, which I located and it clicks when the car is turned on as well. I didn't perform any tests on any of these relays short of listening forclicking sounds. The ones in the kick panel, I'm not 100% about as there are 3 there and I'm making the assumption that since it sounds like 3 clicks, that they are all responding.

The pump does not make any noise,which is what led me down the path of replacing it over the weekend. I also haven't investigated the fuel filter either. I'm not against doing that, but I wanted to wait until I at least was able to get the fuel pump to respond first.

Side note... thanks for your earlier suggestion. I visited rover-renovations.com and they're sending me the Rave CD.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well it's beginning to sound like a fuel relay. How do you test a relay - never done it before?

Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Drifting

It's alive... ALIVE! SHE LIVES!!! On my way home from work today I picked upthe replacement relay and crank sensor I had ordered earlier. I installed the relay and tried several times to start it up but found no success. While searching for where to install the crank sensor I noticed that there was some insulation missing off of one of the wires on the fuel cut off switch. I removed the connector and inspected it and it all still appeared intact. I reconnected the fitting and attempted to start it up, just for the heck of it, and it fired right up.

Fuel pump is now making noise and the relays aren't making any different noises with the replacement than they were before. I guess there just wasn't good enough contact with the cut off switch and re-seating it did the trick. Tomorrow, the crank sensor is being returned.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. If anyone is ever in the Phoenix area look me up... I'm buying the beer. Also, if anyone finds themselves in need of a fuel pump I have one... cheap!

Thanks again,

Todd

Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

awesome....glad to hear you got her going.

I know how you feel tonight. I just fired up a brand new motor I put in my boat. I peed my pants.

Quick Reply: Please help, 98 Discovery I... Won't start.