Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential New D2 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New D2 Owner

I've been looking to purchase a D2 for quite some time, about a year as a matter of fact. Also been a lurker on this site for some time, and finally registered a few months ago. I also have the 1500 page D2 manual on my hard drive as well.

After missing out on three bonatti gray/alpaca beige prospects (a '01, '02 SE, and '03 SE) I think I may have found my ideal D2 today (a green/tan 03 SE with 106k miles). I'll be going out to check it out later today.

This '03 is OUT of the VIN range of the block dowel/oil pump issues, but yes, I'm fully aware that there may be some '03's out of the VIN range that MAY be affected.

From what I've read on the forum, in addition to rebuilding/replacing the driveshaft and performing DiscoMike's 60k mile service sticky; I assume I'll also have to replace the timing chain and associated hardware due to mileage? Also, is the D2 driveshaft offered by Atlantic British equipped with the greaseable zerks?

This D2 (or whatever I ultimately end up with) will be a 100% on road vehicle with occasional tow duties. I'm just not an off roader but into meets/GTG's. I'll most likely mod it with 20" Stormer alloys, Magnaflow exhaust, running boards with the stainless steel edge, the black rubber door rub strips with the chrome inserts, and the OEM wood trim kit. I intend to keep SLS.

If this D2 does not have ACE, can it be retrofitted?

Thanks for whatever advice/tips you can offer.

Last edited by njb8199; 09-12-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want ACE buy a truck with ACE. I would guess installing ACE in a non ACE equipped truck would cost more than the entire truck. I don't have ACE and don't want it. One less thing to have to fix. My truck drives fine without it especially with new springs and shocks.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lipadj46
If you want ACE buy a truck with ACE. I would guess installing ACE in a non ACE equipped truck would cost more than the entire truck. I don't have ACE and don't want it. One less thing to have to fix. My truck drives fine without it especially with new springs and shocks.
Thanks, but I live in metro DC and I have driven both non-ACE and ACE equipped D2's and ACE does make a big difference, especially when it comes to those cloverleaf on/off ramps.

I'd like to know whether one has actually retrofitted ACE, (if it is even possible) and if its possible, cost won't be a factor as it will greatly contribute towards my comfort.

I've had a D1 and a '99 D2 previously but that was years and years ago when I lived in the Midwest and Pennsylvania where its all flat and smooth.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:48 AM
TReK

Nothing is impossible, you may be the first though. You would need to have the dealer program the ECM too.

I have driven in a DII with ACE and yes there is a difference but now that my truck has new OME shocks and springs I think the difference is pretty minimal. You are driving a brick on a truck frame not a corvette. I drove my truck in manhattan for 4 years without ACE FWIW.

Last edited by lipadj46; 09-12-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Nothing is impossible, you may be the first though. You would need to have the dealer program the ECM too.
If I have TestBook, would I be able to program the ECM myself?

I have driven in a DII with ACE and yes there is a difference but now that my truck has new OME shocks and springs I think the difference is pretty minimal. You are driving a brick on a truck frame not a corvette. I drove my truck in manhattan for 4 years without ACE FWIW.
I'm aware of the OME setup. Are you running SLS or coils in the rear? I intend to keep SLS to keep the truck level while towing.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Three Wheeling

How old were the trucks (mileage)? If you drove a non-ACE truck with substantial mileage, I'm sure there would be a difference, because suspensions wear out, ACE really doesn't. I think if you installed a new OEM suspension or even an aftermarket suspension, you'd be suprised that the differences between that and an ACE truck are minimal.

Last edited by brianb883; 09-12-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by njb8199
If I have TestBook, would I be able to program the ECM myself?

I'm aware of the OME setup. Are you running SLS or coils in the rear? I intend to keep SLS to keep the truck level while towing.
1) Yes if you have testbook you can program it. That is pretty cool btw.

2) I have coils front and rear, never had SLS. The OME setup offers a great ride.

Let us know how the conversion goes sounds interesting.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Moot point.

The D2 was sold as I was pulling up to the dealership (sales guy was putting on temp tags). I did look it over and it was pretty close to immaculate. It was the 5 pax version, had the cold weather package, 6 disc CD changer, navigation, and SLS. Didn't look underneath for the ACE stuff.

The hunt continues!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling

1) Yes if you have testbook you can program it. That is pretty cool btw.
I'm a Volvo freak, I have VADIS and VIDA (Volvo-specific SW/manuals/etc.) and figured Test Book would be as easy to acquire as the Volvo stuff?

Is that not the case?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by njb8199
I'm a Volvo freak, I have VADIS and VIDA (Volvo-specific SW/manuals/etc.) and figured Test Book would be as easy to acquire as the Volvo stuff?

Is that not the case?
It is easy to acquire if you have $3k. I have this though and it is pretty sweet:

http://www.dap-inc.com/hawkeye/index.shtml

Quick Reply: Potential New D2 Owner