Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential New Owner Looking for Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 12:20 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New Owner Looking for Advice...

I have an opportunity to buy a neighbor's '99 Series II Discovery and welcome the input from this excellent forum on things to be checking for and general thoughts on this model. Having wanted a Discovery for years and bored with my '03 Saab wagon, the timing seems right to jump in. But trying to look before I leap, I greatly appreciate members thoughts on the relative merits (or demerits) of buying this particular Disco and what I'm likely in for in terms of "regular" maintenance in the next 12 to 24 months.

Here are the particulars:

1999 Series II Discovery with ~43k miles and an asking price of $10,000. Owner says the engine was replaced in July 2002 and at 32,000 miles (problem was noted as "seized bearing" on the then under-warranty invoice). After a daylong test drive, I had the following notes with the number 1 concern being that while travelling ~30 mph and pressing on the gas consistently gave an audible "clunk" as the transmission(?) engaged - is that a bad sign?

Other less pressing things were:
-rear door was really hard to open;
-in fact all of the doors seemed to open differently;
-middle seat belt was cut/removed (owner said it wouldn't open);
-windshield wiper sticks/gets stuck in intermittent mode; and
-there were a few rust spots in door jams and on the truck body.

Again, I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts on this one!

Scott

Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Potential New Owner Looking for Advice...

Hmm...honestly, that seems like a decent Land Rover, but you should shop around. 10 grand is a little under what it should be, but with those issues (rust, wipers, seat belts) and only 43k but so cheap, I would be pretty leary. Not to discredit your neighbor or anything, but if you really want a Land Rover shop a little bit, otherwise you will likely get a dog and hate LR forever (advice: it is always 50/50 with Land Rovers, straight up, you will either get one with no problems, or have all sorts of issues).

The tranny issue...that is pretty normal for all Land Rover Discoverys actually...its annoying, but when you drive it for awhile you learn how to ease into and out of the throttle to minimize the shock--but its not anything to worry about, now if its REALLY slamming and it sounds like you just dropped about 2300lbs of metal, its a problem, but we ALL suffer through this quirk.

The door issue, that is also a little common on these. I have never had the problems with the handles, but usually its just getting dirty in there I think, you can do a search of these forums and there will probably be a couple of threads dealing with that.

When looking for a Disco, just make sure EVERYTHING is in working condition, its not worth the hassle to have to spend 2 grand a week after you buy it to get everything working again. A lot of the problems are easy to fix though, especially if you have any ability with vehicles. The biggest issues are just electronic gremlins, and if the models you are looking at have a center locking differential (all D1s and a few D2s, its the shifter infront of the gear selector, on CDL models it goes forward (Low) back (High), and also left Low/Locked) and left (High/Locked), those without only go forward to Low and back to High on the transfer case, but anyway, if you are looking at one with CDL, make sure it actually works--btw, for every day driving it should be in the back to the right position (High-Unlocked)....rust is never a good thing either....in the next two years, look at new brakes (pads and rotors), new spark plugs and plug wires, change all of the fluids (transfer case, front/rear differentials, oil), and that should be it, but probably about a grand in parts and what not in the next year or so...

I have a 97 Disco 1 and Ive spent about 1000 in the last 6 months, but it was in need of maintainence (previous owner wasnt too up on that, and with Discos you give them love and attention and they will always run for ya!), but unless you always take it to the dealership, you wont get priced out of your house because you can buy many of the parts and install them yourself on a weekend. Hope this helped a little bit, have fun shopping/buying a 'true' Discovery (not the Discovery 3, or LR3 as Ford made it called in the US...I would totally take one, but man, the old discos just look so much better ahhaha)....

Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
4th Gear

Thanks much for all of your input! I'm planning on taking the truck to the local LR dealership this week for their overview (cost of $100). Is that too much like handing them a blank check? In your experience is a local independent a better resource?

Again, thanks for your help!

Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Independants are ALWAYS a better resource, many will do a free of charge once over....however, dealerships are ALWAYS more convenient. So its a toss up, its not like 100 is TOO much money, its a lot, but its for peace of mind, and if you keep the truck for a long time, that money will be meaningless in the long run....hope you can find some headway and join our family, just be sure to wave back to a beluga black 1997 Discovery 1 when you drive through Sacramento, CA ahahaha

Old 04-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you purchased already then take it to an independant. If you haven't then take it to the dealership. They will find everything wrong. have them write it all down and take it back to the seller. Could help you get a lower price. The indepandants usually will find the important stuff for ya. Then just kinda point out the not so important stuff. In my experience at least Good luck either way.