Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump fail.. need help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Power Steering Pump fail.. need help please

Sorry for the long post here..

So my pump sprung a leak in the gasket.. I took it apart and tried to just RTV gasket it.. This failed and it also restricted the motion of the pulley where it became difficult to turn it. I ran the engine for a few minutes, and was getting bursts of easy steering while trying to turn the wheel back and forth.

Should the power steering pump pulley turn completely freely?? or should there be some tension in it??

I now replaced the gasket with the closest gasket size I could find which is 3/64 as opposed to the 1/64 I was told to use. I couldnt find that size so I went with the 3/64. The leak has stopped, and the steering is somewhat easier to turn, but no where near what it should be.

The pulley still has some tension in it where it doesnt want to spin freely. Why is this happening?? have i trashed the pump and just buy a new one?

Also, how can I test to see if this pump is working?? could I take the pressure line off the side to see if it blasts fluid out??

I bled the steering gear box and still no change in the steering. I am not getting any whining noise or any sign of power steering even thinking of working. The steering is somewhat easier to turn than when all the fluid leaked out, so Im thinking it might just be a pressure issue with having too large a gasket in there.. Could that be the issue??

Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It could be the gasket, I would drive it for a day or so and see if it loosens up.