Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Rebuild - A Cautionary Tale

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

that's amazing

Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Problems Continue!

The new pump has been leak free for days now, but it looks like the shaft isn't properly installed. Check out how the belt rides on the pulley. It's off by 1 groove. When I first installed it and started the truck, it made a strange noise so I shut off the engine and noticed the belt was riding on the PS pulley like that. I pulled back on the tensioner, realigned the belt and then restarted it and it sounded fine so I assumed I had put the belt on wrong initially. This morning, I changed out the rear hub and started it up to use the brakes to hold the axle while I torqued the nut to 360 ft.-lbs. and the noise was back. I put the belt back on the pulley the correct way twice but it immediately shifts back over so the pulley must be out of alignment. What a pain in the butt this is! I'm going for a new pump next.

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Pump Rebuild - A Cautionary Tale-ps-belt.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the same thing happened to me. I started off replacing the hoses, them making my own gasket, still leaked. Then I bought the rebuild gasket kit, put the pump back together and it was still leaking. Sure enough one of the bolt hole "ears" had cracked on the cover plate. I'm not sure where I went wrong putting it back together. I ended up getting a new pump from napa, it works good. Oem price is rediculous. For such a simple job it turned out to be a real pain.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i had the identical problem with one I got for a friends car from autozone, it's like they drive the pulley on to the shaft anyway, and let it go.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I replaced mine, I AutoZone reman and am having no problems, but I later saw someone install an MIT Heavy Duty pump in their D2. Im not sure the price, but he seems to like it.
EDIT: Here it is,

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/mit-h...ring-pump.html

Last edited by Dane!; 12-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Another alternative is a 92 S-10 4 cyl pump. NAPA lists the PS pump a p/n PS 385168.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...168_0333849144

Cardon 20-874 - http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...lter+available

It fits a DI: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...t-35013/page3/

However the DI return fitting off the pump is a 90 deg elbow and the S-10 pump is straight like a DII. You will need to pull the pulley off your DII pump and install it on the NAPA pump.

Last edited by acamato; 12-18-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Dane!
When I replaced mine, I AutoZone reman and am having no problems, but I later saw someone install an MIT Heavy Duty pump in their D2. Im not sure the price, but he seems to like it.
EDIT: Here it is,

M.I.T HD Steering Pump - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.
In case anyone was looking to go this route, MIT Automotive no longer offers this kit.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Default All Set Now - Oh, and I'm An Idiot

So I put the AllMakes pump in this morning and it is drip free and quiet. I got everything bolted up and noticed that the pulley didn't line up correctly. I had put it on backwards. There is a nice stamped reminder on the pulley that says "front" in case anybody else gest stuck putting a pump in. The first pump I installed came with a pulley so I put the original one in the garage and then when I installed the second pump I needed the pulley again and I put it on backwards. The second rebuilt still had the shaft sticking out too far so it needed to be replaced but putting the pulley on backwards sure didn't help.

I also noticed a small coolant leak from the water pump where it mounts to the timing cover. One bolt was a little loose so I snugged it up but I imagine that will need to be dealt with next.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

you work out all the kinks, yet? just saw a tiny leak on mine. exploring options. looking like beck arn.. is best option.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Pro Wrench

I would try a gasket replacement for $30 but take your time and don't break it like I did. If you are going new, I paid $325 for an Allmakes which is working perfectly.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Rebuild - A Cautionary Tale