Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud New DISCO 2 owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Proud New DISCO 2 owner

Just made the plunge and bought my first Land Rover. 2001 104K $4500. The person that owned it apparently read up on here on what to do. Front drive shaft replaced with zerk fittings on it. New plugs and wires. Radiator has green fluid and has been flushed recently. NEW HEAD GASKET!! Looks like the head has been machined and no sign of leaks. New Mass Airflow sensor. New brake pads and rotors and nitto grappler All terrains all around. Some dampness on the transfer case but I can fix that soon. Oil was still light brown so it looked real clean. Brake fluid looked brand new. I feel like I got a really good deal and for now it seems well maintained, we shall see . I went ahead and kept 1500$ in the bank just in case I need some parts. I am military so we have a very good auto hobby shop and all tools accesible to us. Lift 2.50 an hr and tools are free to use. I worked on Aircraft for the past 5 years so I think I can handle most maintenance with the manual. Anything else I should check or service that might have been missed? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to the madness.
Sounds like you got a good deal.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bigcraigman
Just made the plunge and bought my first Land Rover. 2001 104K $4500. The person that owned it apparently read up on here on what to do. Front drive shaft replaced with zerk fittings on it. New plugs and wires. Radiator has green fluid and has been flushed recently. NEW HEAD GASKET!! Looks like the head has been machined and no sign of leaks. New Mass Airflow sensor. New brake pads and rotors and nitto grappler All terrains all around. Some dampness on the transfer case but I can fix that soon. Oil was still light brown so it looked real clean. Brake fluid looked brand new. I feel like I got a really good deal and for now it seems well maintained, we shall see . I went ahead and kept 1500$ in the bank just in case I need some parts. I am military so we have a very good auto hobby shop and all tools accesible to us. Lift 2.50 an hr and tools are free to use. I worked on Aircraft for the past 5 years so I think I can handle most maintenance with the manual. Anything else I should check or service that might have been missed? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a really good deal, congrats! I'll tell you, the base auto hobby shop has been like a second home to me when I need to get the truck up on a lift. Double check the new wires to make sure they're 8mm silicones, like Magnecor, STI, or Kingsborne. Also, you may want to look into getting a CDL setup sometime soon if you plan on any wheeling. I'd invest in a ScanGuage or UltraGuage to keep an eye on your temp. With all the recent work, hopefully it won't be an issue but you can never be too careful with these engines. If you run hot, you can always put one of the soft spring t/stats in. The guys on these forums are a wealth of knowledge. You can take some lumps from them, but with thick skin from a MX background just take it with a grain of salt.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Now James...don't go and scare the man off....them boys don't hit that hard.....ok well maybe sometimes....

Welcome BigCraigMan! Spend as much time as you can reading these threads and you will learn a lot in a short time. Don't be afraid to ask a question. And for God sakes don't think everything on here is the gospel either. Join a few other boards and spend some time with the RAVE. You will be just fine. Also not sure where your stationed but try and locate you a good salvage yard near you that has the Disco's.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Now James...don't go and scare the man off....them boys don't hit that hard.....ok well maybe sometimes....

Welcome BigCraigMan! Spend as much time as you can reading these threads and you will learn a lot in a short time. Don't be afraid to ask a question. And for God sakes don't think everything on here is the gospel either. Join a few other boards and spend some time with the RAVE. You will be just fine. Also not sure where your stationed but try and locate you a good salvage yard near you that has the Disco's.
Ha, just a little forewarning...I've read too many gripes. I'll second that about a good salvage yard. I've saved so much money pulling random parts from the yard here. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I've saved $3000-4000 by getting my nose in the RAVE, getting advice from the forums, and just spending some time getting to know the truck.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Just checked the wires and they are 7mm. What's the risk in leaving these on?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

They will fail at some point cause they can't handle the heat so plan on switching them at some point.
Also look at my major service list and use it as a guide for what still needs to be done.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Winching

Welcome again!!