Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Purple Ice (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/purple-ice-19176/)

DiscoRom 01-23-2009 10:08 AM

Purple Ice

Ok I bought 16 oz Purple Ice Radiator Super-Coolant Additive ($21)
How and when can I use this thing?
Can I just pour it in the expansion tank?
I still have new green coolant inside the cooling system.

Its weird because the direction says:
"Flush your system prior to use if another brand of coolant has been used"
But on the RP internet site it says "Purple Ice is compatible with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze (green) and GM Dex-Cool® antifreeze"
Should I drain or mix with existing coolant?
Do not use distilled water in an aluminum radiator. I thought we should only use distilled water?

llPANCHOll 01-23-2009 10:15 AM

RE: Purple Ice

from where do you get this

"Do not use distilled water??"

Is it a D1 or D2

DiscoRom 01-23-2009 10:25 AM

Mine is a D1.
And I'm reading the back label it says "Do not use distilled water in an aluminum radiator" ?!

llPANCHOll 01-23-2009 10:30 AM

Never heard that... What kind of water would they want you to use??
If so Im screwed... You can allways buy premix 50/50 to be safe

As far as Dexcool goes I would google "Dexcool class action lawsuit" before
I would even cosider using it!!!!!

sloppyjoe 01-23-2009 10:39 AM

back to the original question,,,

yes you can just pour it in the tank.

and distilled water is a must if you are adding water at all to your system. i can only imagine they are referring to running on water only. ideally you are running a 50/50 mix,,,, but in the case you were stuck and had only water to add, distilled is the way to go

DiscoRom 01-23-2009 10:40 AM

Yup, I know about the Dexcool effect on the D1. That's why I recently flushed my system and replace it with ethyl glycol.
So far so good. I got the Purple Ice for as an additive. I think I'll just pour half of it in the expansion tank.

llPANCHOll 01-23-2009 12:25 PM

I just talked to a co worker and he told me that distilled water is "Hungry" meaning it contains no minerals..
And therefore isnt good for radiators????

If you recently changed your coolant
I would just add it to the system
As far as the distilled water I guesd I will be buying the premix from now on just to be safe

Jupiter Rover 01-23-2009 01:47 PM

Distilled is Okay in DII radiators.. Not sure if that helps.

AK Rover 01-23-2009 02:13 PM

If distilled water is lacking minerals then it will probably try to rob those minerals from the soft aluminum of the radiator. I'm not a chemist so I could be completely wrong. Just stating what comes to my mind.

I have used Purple Ice in the past with good luck. I simply removed my radiator cap and dumped the entire bottle in. I would suggest in the radiator rather than the expansion tank to better ensure it gets circulated and mixed in to the entire system

Disco2Guy 01-23-2009 04:17 PM

I thought you had to use distilled water because tap water contains minerals that will collect inside the rad and cause blockage. Like how the openings for a shower head get clogged over a period of time.