Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question about lower power steering hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default quick question about lower power steering hose

I'm fixing to make a large order with RN for most all the parts needed to update my power steering system and what I need to know is if I should really be concerned with the lower hose that connects to the power steering gearbox. Worth noting its also the most expensive hose selling for around $150. I read somewhere that in order to replace that hose you would need to lift up the radiator or something of the like, making it a pain in the ***.

Here is the hose in question: HOSE PAS PUMP-STRNG BOX DISCOVERY II, RNH076, QEP105481 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

does this hose have a tendency to fail, similarly to how the PS pump has a tendency to fail? Or would I be just fine replacing just the other 2 hoses, along with the pump and reservoir?

Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I don't know about that particular hose TRIARII but I had the steering box return hose to the reservoir wear through against the engine sump and fail on my TD5. It's known to be a common fault. I obviously had to replace it as it peeing out the steering ATF type oil. It cost me £55+ I seem to remember and a couple of hours work. The hose was a combination of aluminium and reinforced rubber in sections. I obviated future problems by shrouding the new hose with a reinforced 1/2" ID garden hose. The system fortunately is self bleeding making for less problems.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:42 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
I don't know about that particular hose TRIARII but I had the steering box return hose to the reservoir wear through against the engine sump and fail on my TD5. It's known to be a common fault. I obviously had to replace it as it peeing out the steering ATF type oil. It cost me £55+ I seem to remember and a couple of hours work. The hose was a combination of aluminium and reinforced rubber in sections. I obviated future problems by shrouding the new hose with a reinforced 1/2" ID garden hose. The system fortunately is self bleeding making for less problems.
well like I said I do plan on replacing both the other hoses, just that expensive hose in the link is a pain in the rear to replace. The other 2 hoses look like they will be easy to replace especially seeing how I will have the fan and pump removed.

On another note how do I bleed the system once i get the new hoses, new pump and new reservoir installed? Just fill up the reservoir until its fill, idle the truck for a minute, turn off then add more fluid? Or is there some special *** or nipple I have to work with?

If all goes well Ill be ordering everything tomorrow.