Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question - Spark Plug Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question - Spark Plug Removal

I need to pull my plugs on my 2000 disco II. I'm nervous about snapping it off. Is it safe to remove a potentially old plug while the engine is cold or is it safer to attempt while it's warm?

Not sure I want to run the engine (P1590 & P0307, wat erfall behind the dash), though.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You have more problems to worry about then snapping off a plug, which won't happen, just remember to twist the spark plug boot before pulling the wire off. Also, if you still have the old grey wires, it is time to change the wires at the same time with 8mm silicone wires like STI's or Magnacor's.
The water noise is a coolant leak that should be taken care of first since it could be head gaskets.
The 1590 is the 3 amigo's that are showing up on your dash.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You have more problems to worry about then snapping off a plug, which won't happen, just remember to twist the spark plug boot before pulling the wire off. Also, if you still have the old grey wires, it is time to change the wires at the same time with 8mm silicone wires like STI's or Magnacor's.
The water noise is a coolant leak that should be taken care of first since it could be head gaskets.
The 1590 is the 3 amigo's that are showing up on your dash.
Thanks, Mike! I hope that it's not head gaskets. The wires are red. I wouldn't have a clue how to change them - they terminate in a very small space between the firewall and the engine. Do I really need to take apart the top of the engine to swap wires?

Given the symptoms and codes that I reported earlier, how would you prioritize my work, or doesn't it matter if you think that I shouldn't drive the truck until both issues are addressed?

As always, thanks!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The likelihood of snapping one is pretty slim.
When installing the new ones coat the threads with Never-Seez and you'll never have to even worry about it again.

Just and FYI though, not all anti-seize compounds are created equal and some aren't suitable for use on spark plugs.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by antichrist
The likelihood of snapping one is pretty slim.
When installing the new ones coat the threads with Never-Seez and you'll never have to even worry about it again.

Just and FYI though, not all anti-seize compounds are created equal and some aren't suitable for use on spark plugs.
Thanks!!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Administrator

If you want some help, send me your number and I'll call and walk you thru what to do.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo2000
I wouldn't have a clue how to change them - they terminate in a very small space between the firewall and the engine. Do I really need to take apart the top of the engine to swap wires?
Search is your friend.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...oving-im-9657/

Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by antichrist
LOL, thanks!! I came across that yesterday!

BTW, I WAS scared that I would crack a plug. Whoever put them in last, really jammed them in there! I had to exert a lot of force to get them loose!

Thanks, again!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Saw your PM, so if the plugs are in then it is time to find the cause of your coolant leak then do the drive shaft.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Saw your PM, so if the plugs are in then it is time to find the cause of your coolant leak then do the drive shaft.
Thanks, Mike! Here's a link to the work that I did yesterday and the status quo:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-update-43634/

I'm not certain that I'm leaking coolant, but I AM certain that I'm not the expert!

The plug in the picture - the black one, does NOT smell like coolant, nor do any of the plugs that I pulled.

Some theories that I'm kicking around about the persistent 0307 & the new 0300:

- head gasket on it's way out
- induction cleaning - may not have run the truck long enough to fully-clear the Seafoam

Quick Reply: Quick Question - Spark Plug Removal