Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quirky coilpack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quirky coilpack?

Forgive me please if this has been addressed elsewhere, but sometimes the obvious escapes me. Just swapped motor out of 01 DII with a 90k motor that passed compression test with flying colors. After chasing away a host of glitches, thanks to this forum, I am left with a lingering fault code p308. After reading numerous posts on the topic I was confident that magnecores would be my salvation. Not so! My question now is "can a coilpack fail on just one post?". Good compression, new plugs and wires, and no juice on jug #8 when online spark detector is connected. On a vehicle designed by compassionate beings, I would just swap coilpack and see what gives, but am quickly losing my appetite for working within the one inch playground the Rover engineers left us at the back of this motor. Any thoughts other than swapping coilpack?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil replaced

Cannot imagine that no one else has experienced this coil issue, but here is how it ended....as noted in initial post, no spark at plug and No light in online spark tester. However, I could get a light if tester was grounded directly, that is without plug in equation, which indicated a very weak spark. Went ahead and changed coilpack, and sure enough, #8 coil post was far weaker than the others. Problem solved.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It is possible. Do you feel the miss, is it constant hot or cold, if so, I would do a compression test and get back to us with the numbers, you may have a valved burned or stuck from carbon.