Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 2003 Transmission Troubleshooting

Old 10-27-2018, 07:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default D2 2003 Transmission Troubleshooting

Hello, I just did mild rebuild and pinning of cylinders on my motor. I did the 30 minute camshaft break in and put another 50 miles on the truck. My wife was backing out of a parking space and it quit moving. Moving the shifter didn't engage the transmission in any gear. Gear positions show correctly on the dashboard. Gear link is connected and visibly moving during shifter change. When truck is in park it can not be pushed. Front and back driveshafts are attached and don't spin when in gear. I have a locking 2004 transfer case so I locked it in low to double check. Still no movement in any gear. In Drive ,I rev the motor to 3000+ rpm and no engagement. So not in limp mode. No limp mode lights. CEL is on due to O2 issue, but no P transmission codes.

I opened trans bell housing inspection cover. With running engine the flywheel, flex plate and torque converter are all turning. With engine stopped, I cracked open the transmission fill plug and fluid comes out quickly. I re-seat the plug and start engine. In Park, I open the transmission fill plug and fluid comes out quickly. This shows the pump is not working. If it was, there would be little or no fluid coming out. I did a filter change and re-fill one year ago so I am familiar with what to expect from the fill plug when the motor is running and not running. Current fluid is a good red color.

So I am correct to assume a bad pump? Is there anything I missing before putting in another transmission? I am pretty sure I put the torque converter on correctly when I put the engine back in. The converter was not removed but it do move a bit on the shaft and I clicked in back place and it felt solid. The bell housing was not forced together. It drove for 50 miles until failure. There was no noises of parts grinding to indicate I put it on wrong. Is there any electrical solenoid I need to check out? The truck as 114,500 miles on it.

I've only found a few threads that are even closed to what I am experiencing. Unfortunately, no resolutions posted...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...nvertor-72209/
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...uestion-73880/

Thanks

Old 10-28-2018, 05:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Sounds like the front pump has gone bad.

Seems like you did everything correct on install (torque converter turning freely after bell-housing was bolted up). See it to many times, where folks start bolting up torque converter...before totally securing bell-housing. Which pulls the TC out of the pump. But, if you were able to turn the torque converter after bolting up engine...it sounds like you did everything correct. Just a bit of bad luck.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses and links. I guess I cannot be in denial any longer. I am surprised how easy it is mess up. I should have taken more time and read the RAV manual and this site more. Fortunately, I pulled a 2004 transmission and converter for $150 when pulled the locking transfer case off the donor truck last year. I've been playing around with fitting the TC today and feels like it's clunking into place. However, it drops back onto the splines. After reading those links and looking at the Ashcroft site I will try again tonight.