Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Range Rover vs Discovery ...in your opinion (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/range-rover-vs-discovery-your-opinion-12350/)

rockanomicon 02-29-2008 04:25 AM

Range Rover vs Discovery ...in your opinion

I am in the market for a new SUV, finally getting rid of the Explorer.

I have settled on the Land Rover brand, right now it seems to be the only manufacture producing SUV's with any testicular fortitude.

The question is: Which one? In your opinion, Range Rover vs. the Discovery II?

This will the owners primary vehicle. That includes a daily 30 mile commute + weekend adventures on forest service roads, and eventually a trip through the Canadian backcountry. I am not really in need of a luxury vehicle, what I need is a tank. Something that will endure, not a throw away automobile. ....and most importantly something I can count on starting up and not breaking down when I am five or six hundred miles from the nearest repair shop.

Different Drummer 02-29-2008 06:19 AM

RE: Range Rover vs Discovery ...in your opinion

I drive almost 20,000 miles a year on average, and my Disco is my daily driver. It has been truly reliable and I love its looks and versatility. I've never owned a Range Rover so I'm not able to say much about them, but that being said, I like the looks ofany Disco better than the older Range Rovers. The newer Range Rovers, however, look prettygood IMHO. In summary, you could find a lot cheaper vehicle to maintain, but then you get what you pay for. I will probably get another Discovery when I finally wear mine out, but it's still going strong at 106,000 miles. I think you'd like whichever one you go with, but be willing to spend the time and money on proper maintainence.

jdelp 02-29-2008 09:56 AM

From what you're describing, get a DII. The range rover can't do anything a DII can do off road, and you're paying more money for bells and whistles...which are more costly to repair. Probably somewhat biased since I love my Disco...but it's true.

rockanomicon 02-29-2008 01:21 PM

I've been told that upon purchasing the vehicle, expect to spend at least $1000 bringing it up to par.

Couple more questions:

1. How much does the annual service normally run? (just the recommended stuff, not talking about random stuff that breaks)
2. Oil Changes, stuff like.....is it simple enough for one to do it themselves? (I am not very handy under the hood, but I used to change the the oil & filter etc...on my old 94' Toyota 4x4)
3. Older or Newer? For instance there is a 2000 Disco II with 64,059 miles on it, the Land Rover dealer is asking $13900 for it.
4. Any years that are better or worse than others?

jkid 02-29-2008 01:34 PM

About a $1000 is a good estimate I guess, but it depends on the condition of the vehicle and what you do yourself.

Annual service should be the same as any other vehicle.

You need to be a little more careful changing the oil on these. I drain the oil first and thenrefill with fresh, but don't let it drain for too long, just until it stops running steadilly. Then I replace the filter, making sure to fill the new one with fresh oil first and give it time to soak into the filter so it gets good and full.

That's way too much for a 2000.

2003 has oil pump issues.

WolfPack 02-29-2008 02:58 PM

Range Rovers are pretty good all around, but definitely not as capable as the Discos offroad. Ranges are more civilized on road than any Disco I've ever been in. That's not to say you'd be better off taking a Geo than the Range to the trail, but I've never worried about getting stuck or breaking down the few times I've trekked out with the Range. As for the electrics and other luxury stuff in the Ranges, I have yet to have any issue with them. Remember everything in the Range Rover is designed to take the punishment of offroading, so the electrics are pretty tough.

The only real draw back to Land Rovers are the dealer costs. If you can get some-most of the work done on your own, with the help of this forum of course, they're just like any other truck out there :D

And definitely stay away from the 2003 Discos if possible. Not that every one is bad, but the fact that some might be, is enough for me to not buy it. I wouldn't trade my Range Rover for a Disco for any amount of money, but then again, I've got my Blazer for offroading!

rockanomicon 02-29-2008 03:52 PM

What should I be expecting as far as vehicle life expectancy?

My exploder is a '93, with 186663 miles on it. Never a break down, never left stranded, none of the typical stuff you hear about exploders. Thats with thousands and thousands of harsh forest service road and logging roads, and temps ranging from 20F to 105F.
Needless to say, if a grocery getter can take as much punishment as I have dished out, I have high expectations when it comes to a SUV that is actually designed to endure some punishment.

Different Drummer 02-29-2008 03:53 PM

I know this sounds odd, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a high mileage 03, but would stay away from one with low miles. The oil pump problem generally shows itself by around 50,000 miles if it's going to happen. That's according to the LR dealership where I live.

rockanomicon 02-29-2008 04:09 PM

I am thinking around 99,00,01,02. Anything to watch out for in that era?

Camdisco24 02-29-2008 04:31 PM

I dont know about things to look out for in that range of years, but I do know the 2000 is a great year. 01 and 02 are good as well. The only thing about the 99' it that that the first year of a DII so some things needed to be changed, and that shows up in the later models. But usually all the bad stuff has happened if you find a higher mileage (75,000-80,000 +). As for it taking what you dish out, i think you will be amazed. The stuff that breaks, in my opinion, is from the beating that happens on road. I would trust a disco over any truck off road if i was given a choice, i love how solid it feels compared to a jeep GC or wrangler. A disco is the most solid, yet most flexible truck you can buy. I cant say I have driven a Range Rover off road, but on road it great and very comfortable. But if you plan on ever going off road buy a disco.

Good luck!