Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Re-manufactured Cylinder Heads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/re-manufactured-cylinder-heads-81966/)

TheWhiteRover 12-07-2016 09:04 AM

Re-manufactured Cylinder Heads

Background:
Picked up a 2004 DII HSE7 with 130K on it for a steal recently and I'm going to attempt my first top-end re-fresh. I have RAVE manual, and this tutorial.

Engine Refresh (Part 2) | PaulP38A.com

I've done head-gaskets on a few 6.0L powerstrokes in my garage so I think I can handle an aluminium V8 from the 60's. :)

Real Question:
I'm trying to get your opinions.
Do you guys have a recommended source for re-manufactured cylinder heads for a 2004 DII obviously w/SAI.

I've found a few sites, however I'm sure there are other outfits and I'd like your 2 cents.

I'm also debating replacing the lifters, rods, rockers and rocker shafts.
Where should I buy these? Does anyone sell a kit?

I'm not trying to ask stupid questions.
Just looking to find a trustworthy source from you guys, who obviously have more experience with these engines than myself.
Also, If I can support a smaller state-side outfit I'd rather give them my money than Roverparts.com :disco:

Jeff Blake 12-07-2016 01:13 PM

Check with Abran here on the forums, if he has them in stock, he can get you them much cheaper!

If Abran is out of stock, I recommend Turner Engineering for cylinder heads. They also have a gas-flow option that increases HP 10-15.

These are the only two options I would consider for reman-heads.

mln01 12-07-2016 02:18 PM

Why spend the money on remanufactured heads? Why not just get the heads refurbished at a local machine shop?

And what symptoms are pointing you to the need for new lifters, pushrods and rocker assemblies?

TheWhiteRover 12-07-2016 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mln01 (Post 587356)
Why spend the money on remanufactured heads? Why not just get the heads refurbished at a local machine shop?

And what symptoms are pointing you to the need for new lifters, pushrods and rocker assemblies?

Idk, at 130K I figured it'd need a valve job anyway.
And the quote from my local machine shop was $350 to test and refinish them... Just seemed like getting heads wasn't much more money, and I wouldn't have to wait a week with the truck disassembled for them to come back.

CollieRover 12-07-2016 02:37 PM

I've always regretted not getting the Turner Gas Flowed Heads when I did my engine, but mine were already re-decked.

abran 12-07-2016 04:48 PM

Turner does not have SAI heads.

Jeff Blake 12-07-2016 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by abran (Post 587369)
Turner does not have SAI heads.

They do.
LDF001040 Cylinder Head

abran 12-08-2016 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake (Post 587371)

maybe I'm retarded, I did not see anything denoting SAI. Please correct me if I missed something.

abran 12-08-2016 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by abran (Post 587400)
maybe I'm retarded, I did not see anything denoting SAI. Please correct me if I missed something.

s#%*

just saw the SAI reference...

Luckyjayb 12-08-2016 10:11 AM

I don't know where you are at where they want to charge you for both of your nuts to rework your heads. I just had mine done and decked for $95 a head and dropped the valve covers and upper and lower intake off for an addition $25 for them to clean them(get all the old carbon and oil build up out of em). $215 for the whole deal with a 3 day turn around