Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Reaching the steering box bleeder screw (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/reaching-steering-box-bleeder-screw-52938/)

Antmen 09-22-2012 12:43 PM

Reaching the steering box bleeder screw

Per the RAVE, bleeding the PAS it simple enough. However, that steering box sure is down in there. I could remove the intake that connects to the air filter for better clearance, but it says I have to turn on the car to idle it... Not sure I want do that.

Any tricks to reaching that bleed screw on the steering box?

Trying to get a few simple services done today/this weekend.

-Anthony

Disco Mike 09-22-2012 01:30 PM

Why are you needing to bleed the gear box?
It is prettey easy to get to especially if you pull the fan shroud.

Antmen 09-22-2012 05:35 PM

I was following the RAVE procedure on bleeding the PAS fluid. Is there are better way?

http://anthonymendez.s3.amazonaws.co...EERING-DII.jpg

Pulling the fan shroud could work very easily... a much better idea than my original intention to take off the air filter cover leading into the MAF. Yikes.

Thanks.

jfall 09-22-2012 06:31 PM

All that screw really does is primes the pump by allowing air out.

Problem is - it can snap if the sealant came out of the center of it and the
internals rusted.

This screw is the same as on a brake caliper.

Loosen it just a hair until the air can get out of the pump and out of the system then tighten it.

The PS pump will change tone when this happens.
The PS pump - when pumping - will self bleed the rest of the air out itself.

Antmen 09-22-2012 06:46 PM

Now, you tell me. You should have seen the geyser when my daughter was turning lock to lock! LOL

All is good. I tightened it back up and kept an eye on the level in the reservoir and filled as needed. Tested it and the muffled groan or squeak, if you will, when I was turning from center is now gone.

I washed what I could, but drove her to the car wash to rinse everything else off in and under. People were staring when right before the car wash, at a stop light, she was smoking as she burned off whatever spillage I hadn't gotten. Quite a sight.

I guess I got lucky that I didn't f* something up - other than my glasses.

-Anthony

jfall 09-22-2012 07:32 PM

yeah, you are good now.
find a rubber nipple to put on that screw now to protect it from rusting solid in the future and you are good to go.

Lock to lock about 5 times and all the air is out.

Rover_Hokie 09-22-2012 07:50 PM

X2 on the geyser, been there while swapping out my P/S fluid this summer while my wife was turning it lock to lock. The rubber cover came apart in crumbs when I removed it, and I need to get a replacement. Any suggestions on what will give the best fit and stay in place??

Antmen 09-22-2012 08:36 PM

Cool.
Like Rover Hokie, my cap was brittle and fell apart. Might have to McGyver one if I can't find another to protect it.

-Anthony

Antmen 09-22-2012 08:48 PM

Boom! Found it... 'should work.
Help/Universal bleeder screw cap (13962) | Brake Bleeder. Universal Type | AutoZone.com

-Anthony

Disco Mike 09-22-2012 08:56 PM

If you want help bleeding the p/s system, pm me with your number and I'll walk you thru bleeding the entire system.

Rover_Hokie 09-23-2012 01:32 PM

Same bleeder screw cap, but cheaper

Dorman Help! 13962 - Bleeder Screw Caps | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Antmen 09-23-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 346127)
If you want help bleeding the p/s system, pm me with your number and I'll walk you thru bleeding the entire system.

I'll definitely take you up on that on the next go 'round, Mike. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie (Post 346252)

That's would be great, but I don't have O'reilly's around here. So, the cheapest shipping for that is $10.09. Making that a total of $14.08! Ouch.