Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real time help needed! Vibrations!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did find a threaded nipple but nothing on it to move or engage like the post you provided stated. I guess I should just pull the shaft and rebuild.... Huh?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use a 10mm flat open wrench to lock it, the nipple has a flat area at the base.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Drifting

I did find a threaded nipple, however it is not connected to anything that I can turn like the pics showed in your link provided. I guess I should just rebuild the shaft and joints.. Huh?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

The shaft has a flat area at the base that will take a 10mm open wrench, you will not have anything bolted on to the shaft.
You could also just pull the drive shaft and rebuild it.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Bundu,
Thanks for all the help. i am pulling the drive shaft and engaging the CDL for a test drive.... Im sure the shaft needs to be rebuilt it has the original OEM joints on it still.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by fj60disco
Bundu,
Thanks for all the help. i am pulling the drive shaft and engaging the CDL for a test drive.... Im sure the shaft needs to be rebuilt it has the original OEM joints on it still.
If you made it to 110k on that DS then you are indeed on borrowed time!

If you wheel the truck, consider taking this opportunity to upgrade to a Tom Woods shaft. Will Tillery (roverguy.com) was running a special on them and has a great price. I got my TW front prop shaft from him back in 2009.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Now I am not certain on the '01 but... I too had a vibration in that range it ended up being the roto flex on the read drive shaft/diff... You might want to look at replacing that. Basically the roto -flex is a hard rubber connect betwen the drive shaft and diff flange.. my truck is smooth as a babies *** now.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffh
Now I am not certain on the '01 but... I too had a vibration in that range it ended up being the roto flex on the read drive shaft/diff... You might want to look at replacing that. Basically the roto -flex is a hard rubber connect between the drive shaft and diff flange.. my truck is smooth as a babies *** now.
good point especially if the roto-flex's rubber is cracked...

X2 on Bundu's and Disco_Fever's advice.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Drifting

well i got the shaft out started the rebuild....it was the shaft indeed. it was soooo stiff when I took it out the DC joint barely moved!

I have all the parts...however, I am having a bitch of a time trying to remove the center bearing. Anyone have adive on how to get that sucker out......i dont have a slide hammer either.
Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Big slide hammer, that's the only way. You can try the old trick of filling the cup with thick grease and find something that fits tight in the hole, then smack it as hard as possible with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure will lift the cup out some, but you get grease everywhere. I got mine out about 1/4" then gave up and got a slide hammer.

Quick Reply: Real time help needed! Vibrations!