Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Door Lock Solonoid Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Rear Door Lock Solonoid Question

Ok,therear door on the drivers' side has neverfully unlockedsince I've owned the vehicle (98 Disco). As I look at the situation, the solonoid seems to pull down firmly and pop the lock button what appears to be all the way up. But when I attempt to open the door from the outside, itwon't open. Digging in a little more, it seems that the horizontal rod that goes to the latch assemblyis about 2mm from full travel (unlock point) when the solonoid attempts to 'unlock' the door. If I pull the door unlock **** up just a smidge more, the door unlocks and opens fine.

Examinging the solonoid, itpulls down frimly, but doesn't stay down (seems momentary). Is that the way it's supposed to be?Is the issue that the solonoid doesn't 'hold' the rod down firmly? I moved the mounting plate up/down to see if a slight amount of adjustment would help but it didn't.All the linkages arewell lubricated and nothing is catching. Just want to get your advice before I spend the bucks ona newPDL solonoid.

Thanks,

Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Rear Door Lock Solonoid Question

Your door lock actuator is bad, no big deal. www.roverlandparts.com for a newuesd one.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

One of my locks does the same thing when cold. I find that if I hit the unlock twice it will unlock. As already mentioned, your lock actuator is failing.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Ouch, $165 from the local stealer. Guess I'll take my chances on a used one for now. They did say both rear doors used the same one.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Roverlandparts has a warrenty with used parts.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I noted your issues with your door latch/lock. I have the same issue going on. I need to pull the door **** up ever so slightly to get the latch to catch release the door lock. I can also get it to catch if I turn the key all the way while in the lock and then pull the door latch.

It will also relock on its own if I shut the door, without hitting the lock button on the key fob.

I have spent hours trying to figure out the issue. I looks like the release lever just slides forward a hair, enough not to catch the door lock lever. I thought that something might be bent (teenage boys horsing around with the door)

Recently, rear driver's side door will unlock fine but when I try to open it from the outside it seems to relock just before I can get the door opened. Gremlins seem to always come out just before Christmas!

Do you think that this is an actuator issue or an adjustment issue? Thanks Phil

1999 DI SD 102k miles Oxford Blue, Tan Leather interior, NO CEL! Running great, getting marginal mileage around 11 in the city 16-17 on the road at 75 mph