Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reconditioning Estimate...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Well it's truly about flag hours and I'll never pay a shop less than flag hours because I know what it's like to be good at something and then get paid less for the product because I finished the job quickly. When in fact the quicker the job is done the more I would be willing to pay!

However, I would do these tasks myself and even at flag hour rates 4200 is insane. You can do it yourself with just a few tools and the rave manual even if you've never worked on the car before

The following users liked this post:
iconoclast (08-09-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Checkout this web site: Bushducks - Mechanics who will service your precious Land Rover
They have a national listing for rover repair shops. I took mine to one locally for me. The guy made a suggestion that I try to do an engine flush before he worked on my car, and it seems to have worked. He could have tagged me but did not. Now he has a customer for life. I found him on that web site. The site is a little clunky and does not work perfectly. Just selct the US and it will take you to all US guys. I saw one in Baldwin, and one in St. James out on the island. There were others. I know nothing about them but what can it hurt?

Last edited by matt3502; 08-07-2016 at 11:16 AM.
iconoclast (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. These items are not due for some time but if we wind up keeping the Disco I would like to address these areas.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Labor is like 120.00 per hour and a complete brake rotor/pad job on all 4 corners can certainly be done in an hour!
That's not how that works. Like said before, its about book time.

Say the book time on brakes are 2 hours, it doesn't matter if the technician takes 2 hours, 45 minutes or 8 hours. He will still get paid 2.0 hours. and the dealership can only charge 2 hours. Works out great if you are an efficient technician. Doens't work out so well if you suck.

In addition, the tech doesn't make the full price charged by the service department. Frequently, there is a dispatcher who "dispatches" the work according to skill level. So the guy doing this work, would probably be a B level tech because these trucks are trick to bleed and having a C level tech destroy headgaskets isn't in the dealers best interest. Also, having a A level tech would cost them to much because those are the guys replacing engines, diagnosing problem electrical issues, etc. C level guys get paid(dependent on dealer, location) about $7-15. B level guys get paid $15-22. And the A level guys make above that.

OP, is that an crazy amount, yes. can you do this stuff on your own, yes. are their indy's that will cut that bill by more than half, yes. Your location is what hurts you,being North Shore LI. look our for an LR only indy. Should be a couple out there. Good luck.

Last edited by dgi 07; 08-10-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Dealer tech for the last 7 years.
iconoclast (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling

I use http://www.tyrolsport.com/ for all my other vehicles when I am upgrading or customizing etc. (Essentially anything warranty would not cover or would instantly void warranty). They will gladly do the work and I will most likely go with them however I was told that the Outback Garage was the go to place since they only do one thing... LR vehicles like ours... but I reached out to them when I started this thread and they still have not responded.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
I use TyrolSport for all my other vehicles when I am upgrading or customizing etc. (Essentially anything warranty would not cover or would instantly void warranty). They will gladly do the work and I will most likely go with them however I was told that the Outback Garage was the go to place since they only do one thing... LR vehicles like ours... but I reached out to them when I started this thread and they still have not responded.
Best bet, just go. Be a walk in. Shops love walk in's

iconoclast (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Rock Crawling

OG is about 40 miles away from me so i dont want to drive there with someone following me if they're not going to take me or give me a quote before hand.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
I would like to see if anyone on here had an educated guess or guesstimate on what an Independent shop would charge for the work below:

Front Rotors
Front Pads
Rear Rotors
Rear Pads
Brake Fluid Flush
Coolant Flush
Low Temp Thermostat Swap

I received a quote from a dealership (all oem parts) and even with my "VIP/Loyalty Discount" it appears to be too steep to entertain and I am considering alternatives (Independent shop w/ Aftermarket Parts) and if all are unreasonable then doing it myself when I have the time. Any pricing information would be appreciated.
My guess would be about $1300

$800 for brakes
$100 for t-stat
$200 for brake fluid flush
$100 for coolant flush
$100 for tax and recycling fees and other stuff

Lol I just realized why your user icon looks so familiar....

Last edited by DiscoCam; 08-10-2016 at 03:39 PM.
iconoclast (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I would be a bit wary on your garage choice. The reason I say that is I looked at a couple of D2's they had for sale. A 2000 D2 with 80k on the clock for $20,000? An 04 G4 w/134k for $20k also? I bought my 04 D2 with 55k on the clock 7 years ago in Westchester County, NY and I paid less than 15k. I STRONG Island is expensive....
I just hope their resale prices don't reflect their hourly rate.
I know nothing about their skill set and have never seen them mentioned on this board.

iconoclast (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For $4,200 you could buy another Disco.

Quick Reply: Reconditioning Estimate...