Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing underhood temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Esteban
I have, and also removed the insulation under the hood. Here's a pic and a link to where I got the vents. Best price around....

http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=117
Have you noticed decreased temps? Does this reduce the engine temp much, or just the engine compartment temp? I know one affects the other, but I feel that you could have no front compartment around the engine what-so-ever and these engines would still be a billion degrees.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think most will find that once their engine problems are under control, the engine is clean and their cooling system is clean and working properly they will notice there is much less heat radiating from the hood. My truck engine compartment used to get really hot, it even ruined my hood paint. Now I don't feel any heat when I get out of the truck like before. Sure it is still warm when I pop the hood but not crazy hot. I know off roading things get hot and an electric fan or 2 and maybe even a hole in the hood can help but for normal driving if you get things clean and working properly you will notice a huge difference in engine compartment temp.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a DI, don't know if there is much difference between DI and DII as far as engine temps, but I did remove my underhood insulation blanket because it was so saturated with accumulated dust and such.

My temp guage is always at the same spot, just over the lower guage marking.

And as far as I am concerned, the hood scoop looked a lot better than thelouvered panel on the range rover.

Where did you get the Saudi Grille and how much are they? I hate the stock plastic grille.Would rather have a real metal grate or something more substantial than that stock grille.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

They done sell the Saudi Grill in the US.
You either have to order overseas or make your own.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 PM

It seems to me that to significantly reduce the temp you would need to pull in as much fresh air as possible and have a place for the air to escape to as well. As such, I think louvers forward on the sides of the vehicle would scoop in air and some vents toward the rear of the hood would allow the heat to escape.

You want as much unrestricted flow thru as possible to do much good. I don't see how one small louver on the forward part of the hood could do much good to alleviate heat. How much thru-flow would that produce?

But I also agree with the other fellow who advocated a clean engine operating properly over a dirty, oil and dirt caked engine for running at a rerasonable temp. If your engine is caked over, it will definitely retain excessive heat.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two different issues at play here. When you aredriving on the freeway there is different pressure in the engine bay than when you are off roading. The vents will do very little when driving at speed, they will however be very effective when you are creeping along the trail. So if you are off road 90% of the time then it will make more sense to do something extreme like this.

To make it look as good as possible actually take the hood to a shop and have it louvered professionaly, think like a sreet rod hood. That would get the best looking and most effective hood out there.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Team Owner

This is just my non expert opinion but I think that the engineers who designed these trucks knew what they were doing and they built it to be at its best all the time.
The DI and DII have to VERY different cooling systems, the DI a 3 core radiator and the DII a 2 core.
The DI has 2 aux cooling fans and the DII 1.
As long as everything is working properly then under hood and engine temps are a non issue.
It is the best 4x4xfar for a reason.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking for a cheap and easy way, unbolt your hood, buy some longer bolts, and throw a couple washers or make a spacer block to go between the hood hinge and the hood. A 1/2" would open up alot more ventilation. I don't necessarily see the need for vents, but that would be easier and negate the need for cutting, bondo, paint, etc.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM

I agree with Spike, if everything else is good, I don't see the need for cutting up the hood.

The more I find out about these beasts, the happier I am I happened to buy a DI. Didn't even set out to do it, just stumbled on it and thought, what the heck, I have owned almost everything else, guess I'll give this thing a try. Now i want two or three more of them.

Quick Reply: Reducing underhood temperature