Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refit factory headlight washers to offroad steel bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Refit factory headlight washers to offroad steel bumper

Hello everyone,

I have wanted to complete this mod since I got my Botorff steel bumper about 1.5 years ago. Headlight washers are not necessary by any means but I like to have all features operating that were included with my Rover.

Note: Headlight washers will only work under these conditions. Headlights turned on, and every 3rd time washers are used they will come on. Its in the owners manual.

Also it is difficult to remove your old hoses, without breaking the T-Valve or check valve. You may need to buy a new one at the dealer Its $12. The window washer fluid will pour out of the nozzles if you dont have the check valve installed...as there is not a stop valve on the pump motor. I learned this the hard way. I filled the washer tank with washer fluid and it drained out of the headlight washer like fountain. Awesome after your ready to be done with your install.
  • 1st measure out where you want the washer nozzles located. I chose the middle of the headlight and farthest back from the headlight I could get. I use paint marker to mark on the bumper as it was easily visible

• Use a step drill bit and continue to cut 3 holes wide as each final hole should be 1\2" wide. Cutting fluid is a good idea. my bumper is almost 1\4" steel. Safety glasses are a good idea too.

Now its 3 wide, and time to even things out with a Dremel cutting wheel.

Now make a rectangle with the Dremel

Now ready for fitting, make the hole is big enough so it fits nice and flat on the bumper.

The rectangle is now cut...test fit the nozzle

Now pull the bottom part of the nozzle out and fit the new style of 90* brass 3/8" fitting. A barb fitting will not work. You will need the newer style that is made for clamping on water pipe. Next use 5/8" coolant over flow hose if you need new hose. The original old hose is PVC hose its hard.

Now the hose is run you can decide how you want to route it to your preference.

Now it fits well. Next use the included clamp underneith from its original installation on the factory bumper.

Now, if you prefer....relocate your washer reservoir to where your air box was. You would need to make a cold air intake as I did but all this will take at least another few days work and some parts. Mine worked out well. All the hoses and electrical connections for the washer tank reach with no modifications to the washer reservior. Cut down the filler nozzle to about 6 inches. You will also want to fasten the washer bottle. I will try and do a short write up on this mod. But most folks will not want to do a CAI as I understand. Other options are to move the washer tank over in the top left corner where the vacuum canister is located. But didnt see room for it.

Last edited by bosshogt; 02-07-2011 at 12:30 AM.