Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Remanufactured 4.6 - Best Option? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/remanufactured-4-6-best-option-56480/)

Bryan H 02-04-2013 05:31 PM

Remanufactured 4.6 - Best Option?

I'm looking into remanufactured 4.6 long block options. I've previously replaced bad engines with used 4.6's, and I've had mixed results. I think my next replacement will be with a remanufactured unit. The primary options I'm coming up with are Turner, Great Plains Rovers (GPR), and Atlantic British. Here's what I've gathered:

Turner: great reputation. Rebuilt engines include numerous improvements, including higher flow heads and cam. Not sure of the price, given exchange and shipping costs.

GPR: not a lot of info to find on the web, but what is available seems pretty positive. Engine includes some nice upgrades, including performance cam. Price is $5700.

Atlantic British: seems fairly pricey at $6.5k, but it also includes a new timing cover and oil pump, as well as oil pan fitted. Just one less chance for leaks compared to me installing them.

Any experiences with the three above, or even another option?

BrandonS 02-04-2013 06:33 PM

I do not know the prices, but I've seen D&D Fabrications mentioned as well. I have no experience, just an option you can research.

D&D Fabrications: Engineering & Fabrication Services

There's this place in LA. I think it's the one that a lot of people send their blocks to for resleeving.
http://qande.com/site/?p=64

drowssap 02-05-2013 05:47 AM

LAND ROVER ENGINE ***REMANUFACTURED 4.6 LONG BLOCK*** W/FLANGED CYLINDER LINERS.
INCLUDES FREE PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT!!! **3yr WARRANTY**

Land Rover Engine Remanufactured 4 6 Long Block w Flanged Cylinder Liners | eBay

jafir 02-05-2013 09:09 AM

Prices here sound better:
JE Robison Service — the blog: Flanged or Top Hat Liners in Land Rover Engines

drowssap 02-05-2013 10:16 AM

"We can do flanged liners in 4.0, 4.6, and overbore configurations. At this moment (Sept 2012), costs to do a block with flanged liners, new pistons, and all basic machine work in in the $4800 price range."

How is 4800 for a short block a better price than 5800 for a complete long block with a 3-years warranty?

Add in the price of heads, camshaft, lifter, pushrods, rockers and shafts, headgasket kit and headbolts. I dont see how you get all that installed for another $1000.00

jafir 02-05-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 375950)
"We can do flanged liners in 4.0, 4.6, and overbore configurations. At this moment (Sept 2012), costs to do a block with flanged liners, new pistons, and all basic machine work in in the $4800 price range."

How is 4800 for a short block a better price than 5800 for a complete long block with a 3-years warranty?

Add in the price of heads, camshaft, lifter, pushrods, rockers and shafts, headgasket kit and headbolts. I dont see how you get all that installed for another $1000.00

He doesn't say short or long block.

drowssap 02-05-2013 10:40 AM

"Heads are another problem area. We recommend rebuilding the heads. This involved walnut shell blasting to get everything spotless, followed by crack test and a check for warping. Then we fit new guides, redo valves and seats and cut the sealing surfaces perfectly flat. If you're a perfectionist we can also cc the combustion chambers to ensure each cylinder is exactly equal."

So if they also recommend rebuilding the heads I would assume, they dont come with the 4800 short block

Bryan H 02-05-2013 10:46 AM

All - great responese, we're on the right track. I'll comment on each of the above replies:

Brandon - I'll look into D&D a bit more. Their website is pretty non-informative, so a phone call may be in order. Qande looks like a viable resleeving option, but I'm really wanting a fully assembled motor. I don't have any local shops I'd trust with engine assembly.

drowssap - the link you posted to ebay is the GPR option that I described. For now, I think it's my leading candidate.

jafir - thanks for the Robison link. Definitely a short block option. If you explore their webpage a bit more, it looks like they can also supply a long block. As drowssap pointed out, the short block is $4800, so I'm betting a long block will add up quickly.

What are you guys' thoughts on the AB option? Does anyone have direct experience with GPR?

drowssap 02-05-2013 10:53 AM

I think in the last month or so there should be a post from someone who bought and installed one of these motors .
I also remenber reading a few other posts when they were known Oklahoma european.
I wonder how long it will be before LR comes after then for using the name Rover, now that they are called Great Plains Rover?

jafir 02-05-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap (Post 375959)
"Heads are another problem area. We recommend rebuilding the heads. This involved walnut shell blasting to get everything spotless, followed by crack test and a check for warping. Then we fit new guides, redo valves and seats and cut the sealing surfaces perfectly flat. If you're a perfectionist we can also cc the combustion chambers to ensure each cylinder is exactly equal."

So if they also recommend rebuilding the heads I would assume, they dont come with the 4800 short block

Still doesn't say short block. Also says their prices are competitive with turner. At $4800 for a short block, that would be quite imaginative. I don't need an engine, so I'm not going to call and find out.