Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Replaced shutter valve - Three Amigos came back (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/replaced-shutter-valve-three-amigos-came-back-70268/)

clint70 11-11-2014 07:35 PM

Replaced shutter valve - Three Amigos came back

So thought I had this all figured out... the ABS sensor reader said "Shutter Valve Failure" and I replaced with a new part from AB. BUT it came back... read the codes again same thing "Shuttle Valve Failure" X 3 plus a ECU ground fault... hmmm

So I am leaning toward a ground fault somewhere, but the question is where to start and I am looking for the pin out for the connectors on the ABS modulator. I looked at Rave manual, but it doesn't give me the pin out description other than wire colour / cct. I think I will start at the plug, as that is always exposed to the weather.

At this point I am thinking I changed a good shutter :( valve and I could really use some help. Thank you.

matt3502 11-11-2014 08:02 PM

You need to look at the 3 amigos bypass sticky that is posted here. Basically you are going around the pin known to come loose over time. When I did this work, I had to relocate the ground several times til I finally got it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140207...verclubvi.com/

clint70 11-11-2014 08:26 PM

matt3502, thank you... I have read most of that thread and downloaded the fixes mentioned there. From that description, it sounds like the connector inside the modulator is the weak spot. UGH! So this is going to be a tough one... does the ground fault support the internal issue OR should I look external first? Thanks for the guidance, and sorry if it seems like I didn't do my research...

matt3502 11-12-2014 06:31 AM

I followed the sticky to the letter and got the kit from falconworks that contained the orings. I then did the option "B" repair. I have to admit to getting a bit of help from a friend who owned a repair shop. After I got it back together, it worked okay for a couple of days but the amigos popped up. My friend suggested moving the ground, so I ran a wire to the grounding bolt on near the engine fuse box. I tucked the wire into the clips by the back of the hood.

mbruneaux 11-12-2014 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by matt3502 (Post 490676)
I followed the sticky to the letter and got the kit from falconworks that contained the orings. I then did the option "B" repair. I have to admit to getting a bit of help from a friend who owned a repair shop. After I got it back together, it worked okay for a couple of days but the amigos popped up. My friend suggested moving the ground, so I ran a wire to the grounding bolt on near the engine fuse box. I tucked the wire into the clips by the back of the hood.

When I did ours I tried the option A but eventually completed B. Don't bother with A.

mln01 11-13-2014 02:10 PM

Clint70, if you've already had the modulator apart to install the new shuttle valves it's no more difficult to do the Option B bypass. No "UGH!" needed. I did mine without removing the modulator or disconnecting any brake lines, following the instructions in steps 25-29 of Josh's write-up linked above. I used the same ground location shown in the write-up, under the A/C line clamp. AMIGO FREE SINCE FEBRUARY 2011.

redrover75 11-14-2014 08:38 AM

Did you have to do any bleeding of the brake system once you replaced the shuttle valve?
thanks, Ihave been holding out on doing mine because of this.

I have the new shuttle valve, the falcon gaskets and was planning on doing the option B repair.

mln01 11-14-2014 06:49 PM

No. The shuttle valves are isolated from the brake lines. The Option B bypass and shuttle valve replacement can be done without removing the modulator from the truck and without opening the brake lines. It's tedious but definitely doable.

sdhow 12-10-2014 03:37 PM

ABS Code Reset?

Originally Posted by clint70 (Post 490625)
So thought I had this all figured out... the ABS sensor reader said "Shutter Valve Failure" and I replaced with a new part from AB. BUT it came back... read the codes again same thing "Shuttle Valve Failure"

I was getting the same thing. 3 Amigos would come up periodically, but once ignition was turned off and back on, they were off...until the next time.

Replaced the SVS and the plunger seals (from Falconworks) and within two days, "Presto!"...3 Amigos again.

Do I need to clear codes now that I've done the SVS replacement or should've these cleared themself? Before SVS and plunger seal replacement, I'd feel brake system "shuddering" when the 3 Amigos popped up; nothing when they pop up now.

lordmorpheus 12-10-2014 06:08 PM

Sd: Are you sure the shuttle valve was the cause of the Amigos? While the repair might have been good periodic maintenance, the lights may be being triggered by an ABS sensor or something entirely different.
I have never scanned for codes for my Amigos, but I have troubleshot them without a scanner. The first time they appeared, the shuttle valve tested bad, and the replacement and seals, and option "B" fix kept them at bay for 2 years. Next time they appeared, I traced the problem to a faulty SLABS ECU. When they reappeared last weekend, I realised my leaking master cylinder seals had leaked brake fluid onto the LF ABS sensor connector beneath the master cylinder.

Without a scanner or testing, it's really a shot in the dark.

Once the problem has been fixed, the lights will turn off. With my latest sensor problem: After I cleaned the connector and restarted the vehicle, I had only the ABS light on. TC and HDC were gone. Once I reached 5 or 10 MPH, the ABS light turned off because the problem had been fixed.