Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing CDL switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing CDL switch

The CDL switch on '04 Disco 2 has gone wonky. I've pulled the console so I have "access"to the transfer case (and I use the term access loosely, of course) and the switch. I have it unplugged but damn if I can get it out. It seems like that my 19mm socket just won't sit down on it enough to remove it. A deep well socket might work but there's no room for a deeper socket in there.
I've tried crawling under the truck and accessing it from the side with an open end wrench but I'd need several more joints in my arm to make that work.

Any suggestions??

Old 09-12-2020, 07:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Which switch failed, the CDL one I believe is just a light, the Hi low is important but you can get that on from underneath

Old 09-13-2020, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Here's how I fixed mine for $10 with a DMM and the ETM. Both the Low Range and Diff Lock switches were bad so I went to the junkyard and got a couple extra hazard switches with connectors, and cut this section of harness in the red circle out of another 04 Disco.

I soldered the wires back together with the plugs at each end, creating a plug and play intermediate harness that I could connect in between the existing plugs in my truck. I simply pulled them apart and plugged this in between them. I soldered in a section of LAN cable inline with the wires that ran to the TC switches and then ran it up to the dash. You don't need to use this section of harness that I made. You could identify the TC switch wires and solder jumpers into the harness in your truck but I don't like messing with the factory harness and wanted something that was completely removable to put the truck back to stock with no trace of the mod, so I made the harness.

I soldered the two hazard switch plugs to the other end of the LAN cable and swapped the button covers with the blanks that were in my dash previously.

Then I printed up some labels, stuck 'em on and shoved the whole mess back into the dash. Someday I may get to swapping the switches out but for now I press either of these when I'm in low or locking the diff. This kludge re-enabled HDC as well as turns the Lock light on in the cluster.

The following 2 users liked this post by ahab:
nashvegas (09-13-2020), Richard Gallant (09-13-2020)