Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resistance using a multimeter, how do I use this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default resistance using a multimeter, how do I use this?

Okay now you see my true blonde self... I need to test the fuel injectors using this tool pictured but need to know how...

Per Rave:Individual injectors can be measured for resistance using a multimeter. An acceptable injector resistance is as follows:
14.5 ± 0.7 ohms at 20 °C (68 °F).

Attached Thumbnails resistance using a multimeter, how do I use this?-8.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. The most basic of meters. Here we go:

A. With meter sitting in same position you plan to test with (example, on the bench), adjust the screwdriver adjustment in the center right below th dial. This mechanically moves the pointer to the very end of the left most scale. You'll be on the infinity position (sideways figure 8) of the ohms scale.

B. short meter leads together with the **** set to R X1 (lowest scale). Neddle should move all the way to the right. Usually there is something that looks like a volume control. Adjust that so that meter reads dead on 0 ohms, looking down on that mirrored scale so that you can't see the reflection of the needle (corrects for parallax). Twist meter leads in their sockets and repeat to see if they have any corrosion on them, etc. Should get same reading.

C. Disconnect injector plug shown in attached page. Put meter points on two metal prongs of injector. Needle should move over.

D. This type of meter may be off by 5-10%, so getting an exact reading will be a test. This style meter, called D'Arsonval, is most accurate in the last 1/3 of the right side of the meter.

E. Read each of the injectors that you can get to, and write them down, always looking down on the meter to not see the needle reflection. Would be more concerned that you would have one that reads way different than the others.

F. Before you run off and order hundreds of dollars worth of injectors, may want to repeat test with a digital meter, which will be a little more accuate. You can also buy a 15 ohm resistor at places like Radio Scrap, read at their store with their meter, for test purposes.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D2 injector.PDF (305.2 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Savannah...I took the upper intake of to check the injectors next question is can I reuse this gasket? I just put it on a few days ago...

Attached Thumbnails resistance using a multimeter, how do I use this?-9.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you didn't bend that metal gasket you can reuse it, make sure to put lock tite on the bolts.
Why are you thinking you have an injector issue, what fault codes or symtons do you have?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
Thanks Savannah...I took the upper intake of to check the injectors next question is can I reuse this gasket? I just put it on a few days ago...
If you DO end up needing to replace it:

Land Rover parts, spares, Land Rover accessories - Search results for ERR6621