Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Discovery 2 4.0

Dear sirs,How do you check if your block is cracked?With heads off or on? Thanks for I have coolant in my oil,Let’s say that after removel of heads And the gaskets are fine then obviously I have a cracked block how do you determine that with the heads off or the heads on ? If the block is the culprit is there any tricks to know for sure?Thanks

Old 11-23-2018, 03:04 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike53
Dear sirs,How do you check if your block is cracked?With heads off or on? Thanks for I have coolant in my oil,Let’s say that after removel of heads And the gaskets are fine then obviously I have a cracked block how do you determine that with the heads off or the heads on ? If the block is the culprit is there any tricks to know for sure?Thanks

I think you there is a tool similar to this that you can plug all the coolant channels and introduce pressurized air. Need to use a heat lamp in the process as well. Then spray soapy water.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

95% chance if you have coolant in the oil you have a blown gasket on the front cover. It usually happens when the truck is overheated and the coolant pressure gets too high and blows the gasket out. Very common to have blown head gasket at the same time. You can tell if you have a cracked block by dropping the oil pan and pressurizing the cooling system and see where the leak came from. If it is running out from the timing chain area it is a blown front cover gasket. It is rare but the Intake gasket can blow and leak to coolant down into the lifter Valley. You can also see that with oil pan off. If you take the spark plugs out in the league is running out of the spark plug hole with the piston at the top of the cylinder, you have a blown head gasket. Most common on cylinder one, seven, two, or eight.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Best way to check for a cracked block is to pull the engine, tear it down and have it checked at a reputable engine builder

Old 11-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Diso 2 o-rings

Dear sirs,Iam flabbergasted o for tulifr of me cannot find or understand what the (2) o-rings for the water pipe that goes under the plenum gasket does anyone remotely know what Iam talking about?I so could you send me some pictures of the were abouts of the location on the engine,Foui have had some say they don’t even bother changing them we’re others have lost 2 days of valuable work due to the complete kit not having them.So does anyone know what this part # is from Land Rover or any other source for seems know one knows what Iam talking about.Thank
you

Old 11-24-2018, 08:15 PM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

As was said, if you insist on replacing them you should be able to find replacement o-rings at any auto parts store. I have only replaced those o-rings when they have been damaged while removing the water pipe.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2 4.0

Thanks,I suppose I am making a big deal out of nothing when I get to that stage of the rebuild I am sure it will be self explanatory.Thanks again for all the in put 😀

Old 11-25-2018, 05:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

You've got an 4.0 engine, unless it was overheated terribly...l'd assume it's just your head gaskets or front cover.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Discovery 2 4.0

Thanks for the insite,It wasn’t over heated that bad.All though steam came out of under neath the hood.I let it cool til next day and it fired right up only to run a few minutes then died,I was going to do a block check on it but I still might that I have heads off.I have a straight edge and going to check for warping.I have a complete kit from Atlanta British and oem bolts this is my first time to under take this task but I can do it.I watched Atlanta British’s 2 part video on how to under take the task at hand,Iam sure glade I have you guys give me very important pointers.Thank you again figured out the o-rings and were they go,Oh one more thing does it matter how the fuel injectors wires go ?or should I mark them in order with tape 1,2,3 so they came from the same injectors? I know the spark plug wires should be marked.Yours truly

Old 11-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike53
Thanks for the insite,It wasn’t over heated that bad.All though steam came out of under neath the hood.I let it cool til next day and it fired right up only to run a few minutes then died,I was going to do a block check on it but I still might that I have heads off.I have a straight edge and going to check for warping.I have a complete kit from Atlanta British and oem bolts this is my first time to under take this task but I can do it.I watched Atlanta British’s 2 part video on how to under take the task at hand,Iam sure glade I have you guys give me very important pointers.Thank you again figured out the o-rings and were they go,Oh one more thing does it matter how the fuel injectors wires go ?or should I mark them in order with tape 1,2,3 so they came from the same injectors? I know the spark plug wires should be marked.Yours truly
It will be readily apparent how the injector plugs orient.

You can get rebuilt injectors on EBay very reasonably priced, and a good time for plugs and wires too while the upper intake is off.

I highly recommend molded Valve cover gaskets. The cheapies are a pain in the neck flopping around and the metal rings within the gaskets fall out very easily and can get into the Cylinder head.

I would also highly recommend changing your valve stem seals while the heads are out. I got burned on that and had to do the HG’s twice.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 4.0