Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Light Bar and light suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 09:48 AM
Mudding
Received 73 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Roof Light Bar and light suggestions?

Hello all.
Looking for suggestions for a roof top light bar and lights that others are using. I do a lot of camping in remote areas, so having better lighting would be great on my 2000 Disco 2.

Also looking for any individual light rain gutter brackets that would work for lights. I have a camping trailer and it would be great to have work lights mounted high on the back for setting up camp after dark, which occurs a lot of the time with my schedule. I work a lot with Scouts and have to sometimes be the first one in a camp area.

Pictures of your set up would be great, as well as vendor sources.

Thanks!!

Old 04-14-2024, 02:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Subscribing since I'm looking for same thing haha.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

I run flood lights from baja designs on the sides of my roof rack, a BD Squadron sport combo pattern facing the rear on the roof rack as a work/dust light. I have hella valuefit on the front of my roof rack as they look the part and didn't break the bank. Forwardfacing roof lights aren't as useful as people want you to think due to glare, I much prefer bumper mounted lights and in that case I've gone through cheap lights and don't recommend them. Diode dynamics makes the SAE legal fog lights of my preference, in a 3" pod or a 6" bar. For better light output you can do facelift headlights and retrofit HID projectors into them, this leaves the stock highbeam location available to add a lighting option in the housing, not cheap but cheaper than 2 LP6 baja designs lol

Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Do You have a roofrack, it'll do wonders for light placement..

I've been trying find gutter mounts for my 1275mm wide led bar.
Haven't scored yet.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:00 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Definitely interested in this too! I want to mount more lights... totally not for the looks... But being known for arriving to camp late its nice to have the extra lights. I've already started on lights underneath the rear bumper. That way when I drop something I can easily see it. Its also convenient to see the ground without a headlamp or flashlight.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:33 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by rikkd
Definitely interested in this too! I want to mount more lights... totally not for the looks... But being known for arriving to camp late its nice to have the extra lights. I've already started on lights underneath the rear bumper. That way when I drop something I can easily see it. Its also convenient to see the ground without a headlamp or flashlight.
do a set of rock lights. coupled with roof mounted flood lights so nice to have a non direct source of light so you aren't blinded. Nice for wheeling at night as well as around camp.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Previous owner drilled thru the roof of one of mine to mount an ebay LED bar.

It's one way. Not the way I'd recommend.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

I made a simple small "front" roof rack out of some extruded aluminum to which I have some "amazon special" round LED lights mounted. I went this route for a few reasons:
1) Extruded aluminum is ideal for small custom frames if you don't have any experience with tube bending or welding (both of which I'm bad at) you can pick some up on
amazon amazon
which allows you to make your own custom size. You can also bolt your lights directly to the channel.
2) LED lights don't draw a lot of amps so I was able to use smaller gauge wire which fit easily under the exterior A-pillar trim
3) Cheap-o lights because I don't use them that often- but they light up more then enough when I need them! I like the classic round style myself.

I do want some "rock lights" for camp setup- the problem with the roof lights is that because I have the roof top tent that determines where the vehicle is oriented and big lights on top are often not pointed in the right direction for setup- but some underframe rock lights...that might do the trick!

The following users liked this post:
Roont (04-20-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 03:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by greisinb
I made a simple small "front" roof rack out of some extruded aluminum to which I have some "amazon special" round LED lights mounted. I went this route for a few reasons:
1) Extruded aluminum is ideal for small custom frames if you don't have any experience with tube bending or welding (both of which I'm bad at) you can pick some up on amazon which allows you to make your own custom size. You can also bolt your lights directly to the channel.
2) LED lights don't draw a lot of amps so I was able to use smaller gauge wire which fit easily under the exterior A-pillar trim
3) Cheap-o lights because I don't use them that often- but they light up more then enough when I need them! I like the classic round style myself.

I do want some "rock lights" for camp setup- the problem with the roof lights is that because I have the roof top tent that determines where the vehicle is oriented and big lights on top are often not pointed in the right direction for setup- but some underframe rock lights...that might do the trick!
spring for a set that you can set the color on the rock lights. Yellow light does not attract bugs like white light does!!

Old 04-19-2024, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by whowa004
spring for a set that you can set the color on the rock lights. Yellow light does not attract bugs like white light does!!
Well there's a good tip, I totally would have just gotten white ones if let to my own devices. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (04-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Roof Light Bar and light suggestions?